Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question about charity quilts >
  • question about charity quilts

• question about charity quilts

Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM

I love your fabrics and I would use them in another way to be charitable. If you have Christian based Retirement or Nusing home in your area, I'd use those fabrics there.
    I would keep the LWR quilts more generic. You could ask others in your church about the fabrics they use. Some places get together, pool their fabrics, then make as many from one pattern as possible.
    Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM

I have collected several different fabrics with the word "love" on them. I put at least one piece in every quilt I donate. I'm Christian, but love is not exclusive to Christianity, and it's the best message I can send out to whomever is the recipient.
    Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM

I would think this would be totally acceptable.
    Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM

When you donate material for the LWR quilts, please don't give them pieces of fabric that have very small pieces. The people receiveing these just have to throw them away. They need large pieces of fabric. When I was helping make these quilts, some people thought we could just use anything. Make sure the material is very useful. They do need to be made 60 X 80 in. Thank you to all the people that can do these quilts.
    Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM

I understand that one has to obey rules, of course. I prefer to make quilts for an organization that gives the "credit" to the Lord for quilts given out, even if the recipient is not Christian....and I don't care if they are. It seems that the media are more than willing to dump on Christians, and everyone hears of the wrong some of us do. I think Christians need to give credit where credit is due (to the Lord, NOT the individual quilter) when they do something good. I realize that this could cause problems in other countries so I only donate to charities active in the USA. This is just my opinion. To me, an effort is wasted if the Lord is not glorified by it.
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
    Power Poster

If the people in need take money or other needed items from the mission then why would they all of a sudden get picky about the print on a quilt? It is a Christian mission after all. The workers would probably love to have one so make it for them.
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:33 PM

I think that to say if there is something on the quilt that says it is from a Christian church then the church is advertising is very wrong. Advertising is what Ford or Toyota does. Witnessing is what Christians do. There is a vast difference which Christians understand. Witnessing is what Jesus meant when he said "Go into all the world, telling..." It is called the Great Commission.This is a very important difference. No one dies in order to advertise. Today people still die in order to witness.
    Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO......So you might be a christian. these people need warmth, not religion. I think someone being given a quilt to keep them warm, knows it is a charitable thing. It doesn't have to be a Christian thing, just a giving thing. A lot of people who aren't christians are also very giving people. I'm one of them. I'm just happy and glad I can be an anonymous giver.
    peace
    Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    I would not use the fabric in those quilts you are sending overseas. I believe the posts above have given valid reasons for not doing it. Keep your quilt donations non reigious I would also avoid other specific symbols that might suggest politics or contrary to the culture where the quilts may be going. Christian witness is your making something useful and comforting to those receiving the quilt.
    I agree with Holice, ckcowl, and deemail.

If you are interested in only making quilts for people with Christian interests then okay, but once you start to claim credit, it is not charity. Charity is given freely with no conditions. Once you start putting symbols of any kind on it you are exacting a price to be paid for your work i.e., wear the symbol. Also, you want your gift to reach anyone who needs it and some people are not Christians and don't want to be but need the help.
    PS the suggestion about assisted living and other places in your area is a great one and your work and the symbols would most likely be greatly appreciated.
    Happy sewing.
    Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 AM

I am with TanyaL from Bosque Co., TX. However, LWR may have guidelines to go by for charity quilts. Where did you find the black background with crosses? That fabric is stunning! Hobby Lobby has beautiful Christian fabrics.

Kathy from Galveston Co., TX