Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about children quilting >
  • Question about children quilting

• Question about children quilting

Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine
    My 9 year old son has shown interest in learning how to sew. I have an old machine for him to learn on and he knows this. He has picked out some precut fabric that he wants to work with. The question that I have is how young would you allow them to use the rotary cutter and rulers? In case he needs to cut some strips for the quilt top. It just makes me nervous to have either of my kids around that or would a plain scissors work the best?
    How about getting one of those goof up gloves and teaching him to use it? I saw that on Fons & Porter TV show. They alwasy wear the glove when cutting.

I think a 9 yr old with some supervision can do more than you think.
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Originally Posted by mshollysd
    I have a klutz glove that any child who ever touches a rotary cutter is "required" to wear. I have seen too many people (adults) which hugh bandages on their hands when they slipped with the rotary.
    That is a wonderful idea! I used scissors, to cut out my quilts, for many years so my kids will also use scissors. i'll have to check out those gloves.
    I've cut myself often with scissors. they are not fool proof.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 AM

My grandchildren wanted to quilt and I signed them up at a local quilt store. They would not allow the children to use the rotary cutters and I decided that was a good idea. It's too easy to 'jump' and cut yourself.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 AM

I think it depends on the child and their individual maturity level. That being said, I would perhaps instruct first, thoroughly going over the safety issues, make sure that he uses Klutz Glove from the very beginning so the safety habit developes from the very beginning, and only allow him to use it under your supervision until you are comfortable with his skill level. I think you should also allow him the experience of learning how to use sharp fabric scissors and the safety issues with them as well. Your child wants to learn. It's up to you to provide the best instruction that you can and to let them grow in confidence.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Have him learn "the old fashion way" first... with scissors and a fine marking pencil. Accurately cutting with scissors will go a long way in learning to cut accurately with a rotary cutter. Safety first is a must.
    My dgd started sewing at 5 and she is 12 now and still does not use the rotary cutter.
    The other thing is to purchase a clutze glove ... this is a chainmail glove that if the cutter slips and hits his hand, he won't get cut. Investment is about $30.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 AM

My dad always carried a pocketknife while a young boy and knew how to use it. He always allowed us to use tools, but with safety in mind. Don't be in a hurry or careless.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    scissors have worked for generations and young kids already know how to use them. Keep the rotary cutter locked up.
    You can't believe how many children come to school and don't have any idea how to use scissors. Many third and fourth graders do not know their left hands from their right hands. Those things are not on the standardized tests by which the kids live now, and teachers desperate to teach to the test becasue they are "accountable" for the test results, just assume the kids' parents taught them at least that much. False assumption!

I am not for letting small children use rotary cutters, but please don't assume they know how to use scissors. froggyintexas
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 AM

I would cut it for him with him observing and being trained in safety issues. I honestly think scissors would be a great teaching tool, however, could end up with wonky cuts.

I started sewing when I was 8 and had to cut my own pattens with scissors (for one reason no one had even heard or dreamed of rotary cutters, what is another story!)

I actually learned to sew on a Singer FW (and wish I had that machine today).
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 AM

If he wants to do it all himself, why not let him pick our a jelly roll or charm pack at the store. That way it was HIS decision. I would supervise all sewing.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 AM

I also have the klutz glove for my grandchildren to use. My 14 yr old granddaughter know how to use the rotary cutter but know she has to wear the glove and have supervision but lets her do her whole project her self she also can run the long arm machine to quilt her quilts that she enters in show. 8 yr old grandson this summer got interested in sewing and cutting so I have a glove for him and let him try cutting on scraps to see how it worked. that satisfied him for now. 3 yr doesn't get to touch the cutter only blunt nose scissors and cuts threads for me.. I enjoy having them in my sewing room and it lets me sew while they are here and gets them involved.