Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about children quilting >
  • Question about children quilting

• Question about children quilting

Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Wow -- here I am, the oddball again! I was baking bread when I was 10, I used a deep fryer about then, too. I was cutting wood when I was 7 -- my brother started before that. My brother had his first gun (not a bb gun either) when he was 6 and was helping dad in the garage about that time, too. I was putting the hooks on my own fishing pole when I was around 8. If you teach them RIGHT how to handle stuff, explain what can happen and watch them closely, then they'll be okay. kids today are protected so much they don't know how to act. JMHO
    I agree.

Obviously you have to use common sense and base your decision on what you know of your child. My nine-year-old daughter uses the rotary cutter, the iron, and her own sewing machine all by herself- while I supervise, and watch to make sure that younger siblings aren't going to interfere.
    Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM

No rotary cutter for my kids. I have to be extra careful myself. I would either give him precut or let him cut them out with sissors. After all, that is part of it.
    Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
    Power Poster

I let my nine year old DGD sew on my machine and she's been bugging me to let her use the rotary cutter. The ladies at LQS told me absolute not and I think I agree with them.
    Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM

If he is truly interested, I would let him learn all he can. Be overly cautious and stand right there while he is cutting, but please don't take the pleasure of learning something new away because you are afraid. He must not be. And maybe he won't enjoy it after all
    Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm teaching my grdaughters to sew, they are 7 & 10. I let the iron, but not allowed to use the rotary cutter yet.
    The older girl is using a Janome Jem and her sister, a Singer 99k
    hand crank.
    Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM

I've noticed that some children seem to lose every bit of common sense they had when small as soon as hormones start to appear. Sibling fights, flailing hands & tears, stomping feet & cuss words. That behavior was what kept my rotary cutter in my hands.

DGDs had great presence of mind when home alone with dog who had seizures. I still wouldn't take the chance of one of them having a hissyfit with a rotary cutter in her hand. It simply wasn't worth. Now they are both old enough to have jobs and can buy their own.
    Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine
    My 9 year old son has shown interest in learning how to sew. I have an old machine for him to learn on and he knows this. He has picked out some precut fabric that he wants to work with. The question that I have is how young would you allow them to use the rotary cutter and rulers? In case he needs to cut some strips for the quilt top. It just makes me nervous to have either of my kids around that or would a plain scissors work the best?
    buy one of the metal mitts and let him cut. The fewer roadblocks you put in his way, the more likely he'll continue
    Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Do you let him cut his own meat? If so, how is the rotary cutter any more dangerous. Kitchen knives are much more dangerous than a rotary cutter, yet we teach children to use those from a young age. Teach him to be careful, the same way you did when teaching him to use a steak knife.
    Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM

i would do it for them that young and when i would let them start would get the protective gloves they have to protect their hand.
    Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM

My son at 18 used my rotary cutter on my ironing board cover. He thought it was a pizza cutter - like that makes a difference! :thumbdown:
    I think it is really up to their maturity. Obviously my son and his friend were not mature enough to use it. I think when he saw me slice the tip of my finger off was his wake up call. He now is very careful and does not use it on my ironing board or pizza.. 8-)