Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about children quilting >
  • Question about children quilting

• Question about children quilting

Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by gaevren
    You know, I think that we wrap our children in too much cotton-wool sometimes. Obviously much would depend on the individual child in question (their age, maturity, and abilities), but I don't see any reason to blanket ban them from using any tools until they're a certain age. Except power tools, perhaps!

My eldest daughter is 13 years old (will be 14 in February) and I trust her completely around a stove and sharp kitchen knives. She can, and often does, make full dinners for the entire family, unsupervised. It's an incredible help because her father and I both have to work full-time, but I had started teaching her how to cook and how to respect the dangers long before I had to go back to work.

My next daughter is nine years old and has been using "dangerous" tools for some time. Two years ago she used a soldering gun to build her science fair project (supervised). I wouldn't allow her to use a sewing machine or a rotary cutter unsupervised, but if I was in the sewing room and she wanted to work on her projects, I would let her have at it.

My youngest will be 6 in December and she isn't allowed to use anything except pins and snub-nosed scissors (supervised of course!) As she gets older I'll "graduate" her to more things she can use.

It wasn't that long ago that children and teens/young adults were expected to know how to use and do things that nowadays we think they can't or shouldn't be allowed to do.
    I "so totally" agree! I am teaching my great niece, 8, to quilt. She has asked about the rotary cutter but I have told "not just yet." I will be watching her as her skills and confidence grow and will make the decision when it is appropriate. She has started ironing her blocks while I sit on the other side of the ironing board. I plan to gradually move away as she has more practice. My goal is to make her as independent in her sewing as soon as she is ready but each child reaches these milestones in their own time!
    Old 08-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Fiskars makes a ruler with a rotary cutter attached. That is the only rotary cutter I have that I would even consider letting a youngster use.
    Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM

When my almost 13 yr old GS stayed with me he asked about using one for a quit he was making for my mom who is in Hospice, In MI. I said NOT YET DEAR!! He made a really cute one and a pillow to much. I would just die if he was to hurt himself.He has made a couple now.
    Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Do it for him. Explain why, and have fun.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM

I don't let my daughter (who is 5) use the rotary cutter. I can't imagine her being ready at 8 either, given how sharp and really dangerous they are (and how very distractable she is). I don't cut everything for her though - I'm just teaching her the "old fashioned" way, of tracing templates and using scissors. Actually, at this point I trace and she cuts, but as her skills improve she'll get to do it all.

But I think you are the best judge of his particular readiness - you know what he's likely to do or not do.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 PM

My son is 13 and I still cut for him.. I may be over protective but after all it is a razor. He just laughs and says gee mom I will let you cut all the time, I like sweing better anyway!
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 PM

I let my 10 yr granddaughter use the rotary cutter with the glove and very close supervision. Made her put shoes on as I always wear shoes. My first quilting class said bare feet can really be hurt if the cutter falls - and that makes lots of sense. Like anything it depends on the child and good supervision and rotary cutters kept out of sight.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:29 PM

I let my 10 yr granddaughter use the rotary cutter with the glove and very close supervision. Made her put shoes on as I always wear shoes. My first quilting class said bare feet can really be hurt if the cutter falls - and that makes lots of sense. Like anything it depends on the child and good supervision and rotary cutters kept out of sight.
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
    Power Poster

I would not let a 9 year old us a rotary cutter but have him cut it with scissors, you know learn the basic ways first.
    Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Wow -- here I am, the oddball again! I was baking bread when I was 10, I used a deep fryer about then, too. I was cutting wood when I was 7 -- my brother started before that. My brother had his first gun (not a bb gun either) when he was 6 and was helping dad in the garage about that time, too. I was putting the hooks on my own fishing pole when I was around 8. If you teach them RIGHT how to handle stuff, explain what can happen and watch them closely, then they'll be okay. kids today are protected so much they don't know how to act. JMHO
    I totally agree.