Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about copyright >
  • Question about copyright

• Question about copyright

Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

Bneighbor has it right - I used to work in a law office. But this question comes up now and then, but when you buy a copyrighted pattern, read the fine print and it will tell you that you cannot copy it, or sell it, as that would be in violation.
    Old 12-10-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    Bneighbor has it right - I used to work in a law office. But this question comes up now and then, but when you buy a copyrighted pattern, read the fine print and it will tell you that you cannot copy it, or sell it, as that would be in violation.
    When talking about the actual printed pattern, you most certainly can sell it if you so desire. You just can't duplicate it. Other than a working copy that always stays with the original, you cannot wind up with two copies when you only paid for one.

As far as the original, however, you can sell it, loan it, donate it, shred it, you can probably even rent it out, just as long as you do not make a duplicate physical copy for concurrent use by more than one person. The author, artist, designer, is the only person with the right to copy their original wording, images, designs that make up the physical pattern...that's why it's called copyright.
    Old 12-11-2015, 09:29 AM

I know the purchaser of a pattern has the right to use it, which includes copying so you don't have to destroy the original to use it. This doesn't cover two friends buying one pattern together, I'm sure. I once took a class at a shop, and got everything I needed from the class notes (the pattern was out of stock), but was still required to pay for the pattern the teacher was using when they got it back in stock.