Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about displaying a quilt in a local show >
  • Question about displaying a quilt in a local show

• Question about displaying a quilt in a local show

Old 07-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Default Question about displaying a quilt in a local show

Recently I took an art quilt to my LQS for show and tell. The gals there were very complimentary and suggested I display my quilt in their outdoor quilt show, happening next month. The sign up was on line. When I went to sign up, I discovered they had a $10 sign up fee (that they were waiving since it is the first year they are doing this show) and it was required to sign a liability waiver stating the shop would not be responsible in any way for the quilts submitted. They warned it a was an outdoor show so the quilt could be damaged by weather (rain or sun damage). They wouldn't be responsible for theft, etc.

I have never displayed a quilt anywhere or entered in a competition, so I don't know what is "usually" done. However, I was stunned that they wouldn't be responsible for the quilts entrusted to their care. Needless to say, I didn't sign up to display my quilt.

What do y'all think of this? Am I just paranoid? I worked for 3 months solid on that quilt. I can't imagine handing it over for someone to display if they aren't going to be responsible for its care.
    Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 PM

That is standard for all shows.
    Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 PM
    Power Poster

I have only been in one show and it was indoors. I would hesitate to display outdoors. That's just me though. I would worry about it being stolen.
    Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM
    Power Poster

I always wonder about the quilts displayed outdoors at the Sisters Show. I would not display any of my quilts outdoors.
    Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM

In Calgary, Alberta, the Heritage Park quilt show is held annually in May, and many of those quilts are displayed outdoors. They have lots of volunteers around, and they watch the quilts and the weather. At the least sign of rain those quilts are whisked indoors to an alternate display area. Maybe ask what their plans are re security of the quilts and the plans for inclement weather too.
    Old 07-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    That is standard for all shows.
    I think it is standard.
    Old 07-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Area Quilt Guild had outdoor show in conjunction with a winery. Nice but never repeated it, maybe the liability is too high.
    Old 07-19-2017, 03:27 PM
    Power Poster

I just saw a posting on Quiltville that a beautiful redwork quilt went missing at Quilt Canada. I have seen too many quilts disappear from shows so I am really loath to put any in.
    Old 07-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Oh my goodness....do people really steal quilts from display??? I'm stunned...really??????
    Old 07-19-2017, 04:40 PM
    Power Poster

It's generally up to you to insure the quilt if you're worried about damage. The shows will all "do their best" to keep the quilts safe, but they don't take full responsibility. Quilts do go missing sometimes.

I went to the Sisters quilt show earlier this month, one of my favorite shows. I love seeing the quilts outdoors and am glad that so many people, including some very famous quilters, are willing to display their quilts outdoors. There are people stationed around the show to watch out for people handling the quilts, and I'm sure they would notice if a quilt is taken down during the show. One year I was there when a thunderstorm suddenly rolled in. I helped take quilts down in the teachers' tent, and when we left we saw that quilts had been taken down all over town. They do get exposed to sunlight (depending on where they're hung) but little if any rain falls on them.