Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question about hand quilting bamboo batting >
  • question about hand quilting bamboo batting

• question about hand quilting bamboo batting

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM

The Bamboo batting at Joanns (Fairfield's Nature-fil) has a thin scrim and the label says "great for machine quilting". Has anyone here hand quilted it? Are other brands of bamboo batting made with a scrim? All the batting was on sale so I bought a package of "Foosiboo", fusible bamboo/cotton blend. That one does say it is good for hand quilting, we'll see.
    Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 AM
    saf

thanks for asking this question. I look forward to hearing opinions on this.
    Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 AM
    Power Poster

i have not used the fairfield brand of bamboo batting (i avoid joannes as much as possible-just me)
    i would really question the fusible one being hand-quilt-able...the fusables usually make it about impossible to hand stitch through- i definitly would not want to have to hand quilt it.
    i have used DREAM BAMBOO...it is a wonderful batting- needles beautifully- hand quilting the needle glides through- i love it=
    i have not tried other (brands) of specialty batts other than the ones the dream company puts out.
    i know the fairfield cotton batting is a nightmare to use on the long-arm-but would be fabulous for hand quilting---but it has no scrim.
    can you just get a couple little craft size batts to try it out before buying a large one to find you can not hand stitch it?
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 AM

I don't know the Fairfield brand either - but I have already used the Legacy Bamboo/Cotton brand and it was great for handquilting. It needles easily, it is very soft and cuddly and has a nice drape - comparable to cotton battings.
    Regarding the fusible I agree with ckcowl.
    Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the info BorntoQuilt, I have wondered about Bamboo for awhile, by stash of Cotton batting is pretty large right now, but always room for more. :)
    Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 AM

I must not get out enough they make Bamboo/cotton batting.
    Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
    The Bamboo batting at Joanns (Fairfield's Nature-fil) has a thin scrim and the label says "great for machine quilting". Has anyone here hand quilted it? Are other brands of bamboo batting made with a scrim? All the batting was on sale so I bought a package of "Foosiboo", fusible bamboo/cotton blend. That one does say it is good for hand quilting, we'll see.
    I only hand quilt and absolutely love the Nature-fil bamboo. Have done quite a few things with that.
    Currently I am trying foo-si-boo (got it on sale) and not having any problems with that either. A little stiffer but needle gliding through great.
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by boohoofish
    Originally Posted by roselady
    I only hand quilt and absolutely love the Nature-fil bamboo. Have done quite a few things with that.
    Currently I am trying foo-si-boo (got it on sale) and not having any problems with that either. A little stiffer but needle gliding through great.
    Do you wash or soak the Nature-fil before you use it?
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM

I'm hand quilting at the moment with some bamboo batting. Sorry I don't know what brand it is, but it is really nice to quilt with.
    Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 PM

I love love love hand quilting with Bamboo batting! Try it, you will love it too.