Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about hand quilting in a show >
  • Question about hand quilting in a show

• Question about hand quilting in a show

Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 AM

As far a judging goes, it also depends on the show.The International is much different than a local guild show, International is really strict. I just saw a handquilted piece at a large California guild show that was beautiful. It was a design on muslin no piecing. Her stitches almost looked like machine they were so even. She had a lot of crosshatching. I found an area where she missed about an inch, many did not catch it, leave it to me. She still got a blue ribbon, which she deserved, I have neve seen such beautiful hand quilting.
    Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 AM

This subject has been discussed for decades. If you've never read about the 1933 World's Fair quilt contest, I find it fascinating!
    http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_notes...y-progress.htm
    The woman who won that contest hired out the entire process, but got all the credit.

I think you need to read the requirements of whatever contest/fair/show you're entering.
    Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 PM

When my mother entered her quilts in a show, she had hand embroidered the entire quilt but her amish group hand quilted it. They put her in the open class. She won several blue first places and several second places and her first was an honerable mention. That way it was fair because all of them were classed the same and judged the same.
    Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 AM

Hi,

As a person who recieves money to do handquilting for other people I am considered a "professional Quilter". In any of the big shows that would put my work of any kind in a different catagorey. For guild shows and local fairs I would request that you give me credit but I would not expect any share of your winnings. If you look in many of the published quilting books the authors often have the quilts made from their patterns pictured. If they are an honorable quilter the person who actually constructed or quilted the item will be given credit. Mimi Dietrich who has published many quilting pattern books has members of my one guild assemble and or quilt many of her samples that are pictured in her books. She is very generous about given credit for their work. She brings all of the finished quilts to our group so that we can admire and study them up close and personal.