Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question about how much to charge >
  • question about how much to charge

• question about how much to charge

Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by LoveBug
    How about doing a search on Etsy to see what the going rate is for a king sized rag quilt?

Ebony
    Just looked it up. I was right on the money $300 if I were chargeing labor to my son.
    Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 AM

i sold one to a friend from church. It was 70"x 70" and she wanted it to be queen size. i had to remove borders and make it longer and wider. i charger her $250. and my husband said that was too much. she paid it and didn't blink. she does crochet and she said she knows how much work is involved. i think i gave her a bargain. not that my work is that good, but my time is!!!
    Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 AM

I would triple the cost of the fabrics.
    Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
    Originally Posted by deema
    Because he is a collector, he should at least have some idea of the true scope of work and time that goes into one quilt. I would charge no less than double the cost of supplies, and I would request the first half of that up front so as not to be paying out of pocket for supplies.

I have a friend who asked me how much to make a quilt for her DD's toddler bed. I am charging her $150 +shipping, which is cost of just fabric x2, not including batting (because I have a lot in my stash and she is my friend). I did let her know that she's getting it cheaper than if I'd been making it for a random person. So if you feel inclined to not to charge what you *really* think it is worth, tell him he is getting a special "friend" discount, and not to "advertise" that price.
    Thanks this is what I came up with as well. I found a calculator on line for the amount of fabric. Then went to Joann.com for an estimate of the price of homespun fabric. I am adding the cost of thread and batting as well. My son says that he wants to pay for this in order to give to the person for his birthday so I will not charge labor this time. I am also letting him know that if it were someone else then labor cost would be involved. Thanks for all your help. BTW, I am getting the money up front for the supplies.

I would consider going to a quilt shop for a higher quality of fabric, since it appears this would be a quilt he would want to last a long time. Joann's homespun, at least in my area, is not very good.
    Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM

You would charge 3 times what your materials cost.
    Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 AM

I have had someone ask me how much I would charge for a king size rag quilt. I do know to charge for the material and supplies. After this how much should I charge for time and labor? I have never really made a quilt to sell before and need suggestions on this one. I want to make money, but I also want to be fair.
    I have been in this position and usually if it is a good friend i would do it for the cost of the fabric plus 1 time and if it a friend who is some what an aquaintence it would be x's 2... for a "business" type it is common to do 3 x's the cost of the supplies including the fabric cost...
    good luck .... just don't sell yourself short... this is time consuming work and an investment in you skill and talent!!! :thumbup: :wink:
    Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JANW
    Originally Posted by deema
    Because he is a collector, he should at least have some idea of the true scope of work and time that goes into one quilt. I would charge no less than double the cost of supplies, and I would request the first half of that up front so as not to be paying out of pocket for supplies.

I have a friend who asked me how much to make a quilt for her DD's toddler bed. I am charging her $150 +shipping, which is cost of just fabric x2, not including batting (because I have a lot in my stash and she is my friend). I did let her know that she's getting it cheaper than if I'd been making it for a random person. So if you feel inclined to not to charge what you *really* think it is worth, tell him he is getting a special "friend" discount, and not to "advertise" that price.
    Thanks this is what I came up with as well. I found a calculator on line for the amount of fabric. Then went to Joann.com for an estimate of the price of homespun fabric. I am adding the cost of thread and batting as well. My son says that he wants to pay for this in order to give to the person for his birthday so I will not charge labor this time. I am also letting him know that if it were someone else then labor cost would be involved. Thanks for all your help. BTW, I am getting the money up front for the supplies.

I would consider going to a quilt shop for a higher quality of fabric, since it appears this would be a quilt he would want to last a long time. Joann's homespun, at least in my area, is not very good.
    I have not had any problems with the fabric I purchase from JoAnn's.
    Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 PM

I think by him offering to pay for the quilt he appreciates all the work that will go into it. Especially if he collects them. I also was told to charge at least 3 times what it cost for materials. If you were a artist who painted portraits you would charge money for it.
    Quilters are also artists, our art is with fabrics and the way we design and build the quilt.
    Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM

....my washer would not be big enoungh for this size quilt.
    Good point, mine would be too small also.

piney
    Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM

I just recently learned of this site. I think it could do very well to refer them to it so they could get an idea of what quilters charge for what kind of work.

On it they have everything from placemats to California Kings and IMNSHO, I believe they are quite fair.

If you don't wish to refer them, it could do well to take a look there yourself. I think so often we sell ourselves very less than what we should.

The site is based in Canada (hence the .CA suffix in the web address), but the clear majority of quilts listed are from the U.S. Interesting place to visit from time to time.

Go to: http://www.quiltsforsale.ca/

~Jo