Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about LA quilting >
  • Question about LA quilting

• Question about LA quilting

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I never have this problem. I always quilt my own quilts and am able to find anything I don't like before it is finished. I take pride in my work and I have to be happy with it. I have given most of my quilts away, never sell them, or I keep them.
    After the first maybe the second time she should check before you pick up.
    Ditto that!!!!
    Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM

Don't make assumptions. Tell her this is an issue for you and want her to check this more carefully. Also, let her know that it's important enough to you that if she can't, you value your friendship enough to find a LAQ who is more compatable with your need in LAQ.
    Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 AM

You do need to have a discussion with her about stray threads. I go over customer's quilts many times before it's folded and returned. Heck...even the process of folding a quilt will show both sides.

If you're finding tangles in the actually stitching, that's not right! There should not be any excess thread in the actual stitching.

Do you look at the quilt when you pick it up? That's a good time to start the discussion. See what she has to say. Then when she calls you to pick up the next one ask her if she's trimmed all the stray threads.

Good luck
    Nan- Indiana
    Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM

In case I wasn't clear originally, these aren't just loose threads. They are actual tangles in the stitching with perhaps a long thread on the end. But when she fixes the problem, she generally has to untangle knots in the actual stitching and go from there. I do plan to ask her to do a more thorough job when I have my next quilts done.
    Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if you have used her for years and consider her a friend- why don't you simply ask her when she calls you to let you know the quilt is finished if she would please go over it & take care of these before you come to pick it up? seems like if she does it willingly when you take it back it would be easy enough to simply ask her to do it ahead of you picking it up....communication is the key to any good relationship/business or friendship-
    I like this idea
    Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
    In case I wasn't clear originally, these aren't just loose threads. They are actual tangles in the stitching with perhaps a long thread on the end. But when she fixes the problem, she generally has to untangle knots in the actual stitching and go from there. I do plan to ask her to do a more thorough job when I have my next quilts done.
    thanks for clarifying - sounds like you have a good plan - good luck
    Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM

I too, am a professional longarmer. I too take great pride in my work. I have un-quilted many portions of quilts that did not meet my standards. I always check my work during and after to make sure everything is right. You are paying for a professional service and deserve that. All the time and money you have already put into a quilt should not be wasted. Let her know this is how you feel, if she is a friend, she will learn from you. If not go to someone else, there are a lot of us out there. Check around in your area and ask others who they use and why.
    Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Linda - may I ask where in Texas you live?
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 AM

I, too, am a LAQ. I agree 110%

Originally Posted by lovequilter
    I too, am a professional longarmer. I too take great pride in my work. I have un-quilted many portions of quilts that did not meet my standards. I always check my work during and after to make sure everything is right. You are paying for a professional service and deserve that. All the time and money you have already put into a quilt should not be wasted. Let her know this is how you feel, if she is a friend, she will learn from you. If not go to someone else, there are a lot of us out there. Check around in your area and ask others who they use and why.