Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about piecing the backing >
  • Question about piecing the backing

• Question about piecing the backing

Old 07-14-2007, 09:03 AM

I am making a baby quilt that is about 50 inches wide. The fabric I chose for the backing is 44. I know I need to use 2 lengths and put them together, but my question is: Are there any guidelines about how to put them together? I don't really want a seam down the middle, but should I make the middle section larger than the sides, or do even thirds? I can do the body of the quilt in one piece and add a strip on each side the same width as the outside border. I have attached the picture of the top if this helps. This is the first time I have made a baby quilt wider than the backing. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-67152.jpe  
    Old 07-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Usually it is best to put it into thirds.There are two ways... 1. is equal pieces. and 2. is a larger middle piece with the other two equally divided on either side. In either case you want to insure you have measured the width and divided the pieces properly. Don't forget the seam allowance. then you can quilt and bind the little beauty. The choice is yours as to which works best for you.
    Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by SandraJennings
    Usually it is best to put it into thirds.There are two ways... 1. is equal pieces. and 2. is a larger middle piece with the other two equally divided on either side. .
    I leave a full-width piece in the center, split the second piece for sides and cut off excess. I think that comes from hand quilting, having more elaborate stitching in the center of quilts - easier without extra seam bulking things up. I doubt if there would be any difference at all for machine quilting.
    Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM

This is exactly what I would do. One reason to do it this way is because of the folding - If you fold a quilt in half and that's where the seam is, it puts a lot of stress on that thread. It also "pulls" on both sides of that single seam when you have a center seam, but if you use the full width in the center and two half-widths on the outside, there is very little "pull" on the seams when you handle the quilt while making the bed, sleeping, hanging it to dry or folding it for storage.
    Old 07-14-2007, 11:13 AM

My problem with a full width in the center is that the side pieces would be about 4 inches wide. That seems sort of awkward looking, but I agree about the center seam. I am going to hand quilt around the pictures along the inside frame, and put airplanes in the solids and rockets along the wide border. Not sure about the yellow border.
    Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Well, follow that train of thought but possibly make the center piece a bit smaller than the full width of the fabric. You could save leftovers for a future scrappy quilt and still divide the other two pieces into equal pieces to fit the back. Its a darling quilt. You should be proud of it!
    Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Yes - cut that center panel about 30" wide.

That is SUCH a cute quilt! :)
    Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks for your input. I think I will go with the 30". I really need to get going. I have about 12 days, minus 2 days of staff development and some time to sleep, before we leave to see the baby, and I really want to take it with us. I also do not want to do work while travelling, since I am the driver, but I can finish the binding if necessary while visiting others along the way. Thanks for all your kind comments. I'll post a picture after I get it quilted.
    Old 07-16-2007, 03:48 AM

I think all the other drivers on the road will be pleased to hear that you won't work on it while on the road. LOL Its darling. Have a safe trip.
    Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 AM

Vicki, you have given my my first laugh of the morning :lol: Thanks.