Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about Quilting Magazines >
  • Question about Quilting Magazines

• Question about Quilting Magazines

Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM

I get AQS,too, and enjoy some of it. I really miss Quilter's Home which was a truly different magazine by a guy quilter with a great sense of humor. It was snarky, and funny and didn't take itself so seriously. Felt really bad when they closed down. I prefer to read interesting articles which few magazines have. Just lots of patterns,which do give ideas, but as others said, there are lots of them around. Barnes & Noble allows people to read the stuff there, but magazines at the quilt shop are now displayed in sealed plastic bags. I don't blame them. Flipping through to see if you want to buy it, but it seems to me that reading it in the store and not buying is kind of stealing. One store owner said people come in and take pictures of quilts and patterns with their phones so they don't have to buy them. Now that's just dishonest!
    Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM

I don't subscribe to any, anymore. I found that I could get more quilting tips and ideas at my LQS than I ever did from magazine. It is so nice not to have the clutter of magazines in my home!
    Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM

When I started quilting, I subscribed to every quilting magazine I could find. Now I am subscribing only to magazines with easy, quick quilts. I also plan to purchase every issue of Quilting Quickly. I want to make so many of the quilts in that publication.
    Old 03-30-2013, 05:40 AM

I receive one magazine, and I really look forward to its arrival. I know that there are many patterns available for free on the internet but I like to hold something and look at it also. I make one quilt from each magazine to justify to me the expense of the subscription. In fact, my daughter was just here for a visit and was wanting a quilt for their new bed, my magazine came while she was here and she chose a pattern out of it and we went to the fabric warehouse in Anaheim and she chose her fabrics with a little bit of guidance from me. Beautiful Kaufman fabric to boot - so nice to sew with.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn0203.jpg  
    Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=carslo;5965038we went to the fabric warehouse in Anaheim .[/QUOTE]

The scary part is that I know EXACTLY what store you are talking about...and I live in PHOENIX! lolol Last time my family went to Disney, I left them in the afternoon and drove over for an hour or so. I had a great time..and they were happy they didnt have to go into a ::::GASP::: fabric store!