Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric >
  • Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric

• Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric

Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Check online and also with your local fabric stores for products that will safely remove the smoke smell. Good luck.
    Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM

We had a house fire many years ago and what I found out is that if it doesn't wash out with regular detergent, it probably won't wash out at all, and it is also likely that the heat/smoke combination has weakened the fabric. I had just ordered a bunch of fabric and found it best to throw it all away. The folded edges were the worst and it didn't wash out at all.
    Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with Scissor Queen, since the fire and subsequent smoke damage was not your fault. Hopefully you have renter's insurance and also the person who started the fire has insurance, then the insurance company can best advise you on how to proceed. I'm one of those "pre - washers" of fabric, and I learned a trick years ago, take a small triangular cut across the 4 corners of the fabric - for some reason this minimizes a great deal of the dreaded thread issue. It's worked for me and takes just a second to clip the 4 corners. Smaller pieces I would wash in a mesh bag or pillowcase. Good luck. So sorry this happened to you.
    Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM

I invested in a pinking rotary cutter to edge my fabric before washing because the shears hurt my hands. I agree with many about using vinegar! I would try it on everything. I haven't had it harm any surface or fabric. I have also heated vinegar in a pan on stove to steam out odors in the house. Good luck!
    Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM

I finally got the smell out of mine, but some of it had smoke stain, which to this day could not get rid of, so used as rags
    Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM

As a previous disaster rleeif volunteer, we would advise fire victims to use white vinegar in their laundry and for other cleaning. Freebreeze will take out oders however that can ge expensive. For fraying, use a gentle cycle.
    I am so glad no one was hurt and that you can get back into your place.

Hugs

Originally Posted by 2FNCute
    Last week, my neighbors almost burned my apartment down cooking fried chicken. Thankfully, no one was hurt. However, my unit smells like a bbq pit!

I never pre-wash my fabric for fear of it becoming too frayed, but I think I'd rather have frayed fabric than to throw out my whole stash.

My question is, does anyone have any tips? What's the best detergent to use? Does black smoke really come out? What can I do to keep it from fraying, or at least as little as possible? Has anyone here ever had to "rescue" their sewing room? Will my machine smell forever on? (lol!)

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Have the insurance company replace it...
    Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 PM

I always prewash my fabric because of being sensitive to chemicals in unwashed fabric. Reg. soap, warm water, (washing soda or vinegar in your case for odor) and on gentle cycle. Dry in dryer on low. You will have a few threads but they can be trimmed. No big deal. Usually do not iron until ready to cut.

Hope the rest of the cleanup goes well for you.
    Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Very sorry to hear of this big headache. As you said no one was hurt. Thankfully God. Vinigar can be purchased by the gallon Cosco and Sams are the cheapest. Make sure you use white vinigar.
    Old 07-05-2013, 06:38 PM

I haven't had time to read all of the posts but my first thought was for you to stop by the local fire station. I am sure the firefighters uniforms get smoke smelling at the least and possibly sooty too. They likely know how the smell/soot is removed from their clothing. It penetrates right down to their skin, I'm sure..