Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about using Retayne >
  • Question about using Retayne

• Question about using Retayne

Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by WendyMcD
    I'm a hand dyer, we have been dyeing for many years now. The best way to use Retayne is to work them all up separately. We heat our water to 120 then add the Retayne to fabric ratio needed into the water. Set a timer for 20 minutes and then rinse, dry, iron. Works great every time.
    Thanks. I will do them separately. I sort of knew I should not put the 3 fabrics in the washing machine at the same time, but I hoped it might work.

Dina
    Old 07-21-2019, 12:40 AM

themadpatter, I'm sorry that you had a problem with a product I recommended. I have used it for several years now, and especially with all the reds in the log cabin which is my avatar. I have never had a red or any other color of fabric run or bleed after treating it with the Rit Laundry Treatment. And, I've had a lot of solid red borders on a whole-cloth white embroidered quilt. Of course, I put it in a simmering hot mixture (see directions on bottle), and I keep it with the burner on for 15 or 20 minutes. I then use large metal tongs to remove the fabric, put it into my kitchen sink (making sure the sink is clean) and cool it by using cold tap water, then put in the washer for rinse (or even wash with soap if you wish) and dry. I test the fabric after it is dry, and if it still bleeds or runs, I Won't use it. Some fabric is just beyond redemption and you never know when or where you'll happen upon such fabrics. I'm sorry you had a problem. The product works for me, every time I've used it!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-21-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps