Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about your sewing rooms >
  • Question about your sewing rooms

• Question about your sewing rooms

Old 01-28-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ksdot417
    My sewing area is in the basement as well. I love it. It used to be our family room but now it's mine. There's a sitting area, a bathroom, and lots of space for my quilting stuff. I have 2 windows below grade but they really seem to flood the area with light during the day. I also have lots of lights around the room. I hung some of my quilts to make it feel a little more homey. I have carpet on the floor (because it was a family room). I really haven't noticed much difference in the temperature or humidity. Here's a link to my pictures if you want to see it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...albums878.html
    Wow, that is AWESOME! I love the cutting station base, with all the drawers....and what a great idea to use two small chests (with drawers!) to put the ironing station on.
    I don't have one of those 'long arm' machines, so I won't need that much space. BTW, I am kind of fascinated by those machines--it's what my quilt is going to be quilted on (at the lady's house now).

Thank you everyone, and don't stop replying....looks like the basement might be the way for me to go. My DH always likes a good project, and this might be just the ticket!
    Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM

Wow!!! Everyone is so lucky that has a basement. Can't have one in Southeast Virginia!!!! Would be wonderful to have all that room!
    Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 AM

I LOVE my "sewing studio" in the basement. My dogs don't go in the basement so it remains dog hair free; but then I get my exercise running up the stairs to visit them when they whine.

I keep a humidifier going all the time. I have it set for 45% humidity, so it comes on automatically when necessary. Everyone comments on how bright and cheery it is down there. Another thing is LOTS OF LIGHTS and no carpeting. I can post pics if you want some ideas. I have a laminate floor which is insulated underneath so doesn't get cold in the winter, and lots of storage behind doors.
    Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 AM

WOW, there's more of yous in the basement that I thought. We built this house 10 yrs ago & was debating where to set up MY sewing area, so......................................... I told my DH that he can have 1/3 ^ I get 2/3 as the stairs divide it that way, he has the MAN CAVE & I have a QUILT SHOP. I have remnant carpeting all over. In the center of the basement I have 4 banquet tables for working on quilts, cutting, you name it. Away from a wall there are 2 long banquet tables side-by-side , on one end of the table I have my Bernina sewing machine & serger & on the other end is a machine for the grand-kids to sew. Have lots of totes for each color & DH built me shelving to pile my batting on & bolts of fabrics. I'm not lonesome there as next to the Bernina I have a TV, DVD player & phone. I find sewing so stress free & relaxing & I completely forget about housework who wants to do it any way My kids call it Mom's Quilt Shop
    Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I LOVE my "sewing studio" in the basement. My dogs don't go in the basement so it remains dog hair free; but then I get my exercise running up the stairs to visit them when they whine.

I keep a humidifier going all the time. I have it set for 45% humidity, so it comes on automatically when necessary. Everyone comments on how bright and cheery it is down there. Another thing is LOTS OF LIGHTS and no carpeting. I can post pics if you want some ideas. I have a laminate floor which is insulated underneath so doesn't get cold in the winter, and lots of storage behind doors.
    Pictures would be wonderful! Thanks!
    Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306833[/ATTACH]
    The back wall is all floor to ceiling closets for fabric storage, file drawers under the cutting and ironing tables.[ATTACH=CONFIG]306834[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails p1000961-1-.jpg   p1000960-1-.jpg   p1000964-1-.jpg  
    Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 AM

I have my sewing in the basement. My DH and I are both retired, and he quilts with my longarm in the basement. We both are there quilting, but I also spend some quiet time sewing and quilting when he is upstairs doing his thing. The basement lets me leave what I am working on laying out, and I can start up the next day where I left off. I do have wall board heat that I can control there. I do wear warm socks and slippers in the winter. We put the under cabin lights above my sewing machines and I have several other wall lighting in the area. Good luck, with what ever you decide. Just understand what is good for me, maynot be for you.
    Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM

I sew in the basement. It's a small room, no windows, carpeted floor. That doesn't sound like a good deal, but I love it. It's my space. Everything stays out where I use it, and I don't pick up anything until I'm ready. The floor is warm, and generally covered with lots of clippings and threads. Elenor would be proud of me. I have a little TV, my IPOD, a phone, good lighting from above and some movable OTT lights. It's like walking into a different world. Right now I have a quilt under the needle waiting for me to return to FM quilting. Good luck with your planning. Think about what makes your sewing enjoyable and go for it. Everyone has different needs.
    Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM

My sewing room is in the basement and i LOVE it...'cept for the fact that it is way too cold in the winter, so I don't sew much in the winter. It is a 1920s unfinished basement, but when I replace the furnace in the foreseeable future, I'm going to see what I can do to make it warmer down there and only when I want it warm down there. I do quilt in my office upstairs.
    Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 AM

My sewing room is in the basement and I love it. It's quiet down there and we don't have a problem with heat or with moisture. It's a walkout basement so it also has a large window to provide light. It's the largest space available in my house and so it works great for me. good luck.