Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program >
  • Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program

• Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM

I was given the program by the folks at EQ because my quilt, toid tins, and journal are in the software.
    That said my disappointment with the software is the color images are the same ones from the DJ original book.
    I mean I was Really disappointed! I thought there would be new hi-res images...so much for assumptions.

On the good side if I remember you can skew the shapes into oblongs or diamonds so you don't have a clone quit...but I could be wrong, I gave it all away long ago.
    Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 AM
    Power Poster

U
    Originally Posted by Auntie V
    UPDATE:I broke down and purchased the book. First thing I noticed is that what is called A1 is actually what I would call A13. If you notice the way the quilt is displayed the basket block is sideways. (J 12) I am not sorry I purchased the book because I can see pieces of the real quilt and have a better idea of the fabric and colors used. While the author thinks this is the work of one person I question if it was not the work of many during a quilting bee. The letters are a big turn off to me also.

I have always wanted to make a sampler quilt which is one of the things that drew me to the program in the first place. After seeing this book I can now say that I will not be joining the ranks as a "Baby Jane" but will be making my own sampler.
    I have also wondered if more than one person' s blocks were involved for several reasons:

1) the blocks are not the same size
    2) the workmanship seems to vary considerably
    3) the large number of different prints in the quilt

I sure wish the individual blocks would have been printed larger in the book and that the same scale would have been used for all of them. There was plenty of space available for larger photos.

I have heard that the computer program has blocks that are "drawn" closer to the ones in the quilt than some of the ones in the book.

Overall, I think the author could have made the book a lot more user friendly.
    Old 05-13-2014, 08:21 AM

Her web site isn't much better.
    Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM
    Power Poster

I believe only Jane made this quilt for the following reasons

The signature block actually states how many pieces are in the quilt
    The quilt is actually signed, (rare for the time which shows a great deal of pride was taken in the quilt)
    There is documentation that Jane Stickle won a prize for quilting at the Bennington County Fair for best pieced quilt the same year this quilt was completed
    The differing textiles have been attributed to a relative of Jane's was a tailor and had many scraps to give her (from the museum display placard)

Here is a fun article where I got many of these factoids.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/news...bit-opens-next