Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for Juki TL owners.... >
  • Question for Juki TL owners....

• Question for Juki TL owners....

Old 07-02-2024, 09:44 AM

Default Question for Juki TL owners....

I've been thinking about buying a Juki for the first time. I'm interested in the TL2010Q and TL18QVP in particular. I already own a Brother 1500 that I've had for 14 years and love it.

I've watched some videos that compare the two machines and I know there's not much of a difference...except price. The TL18QVP comes with more feet and has the micro-lift (do you use it??). Is the extra $600 worth it for the 18QVP model?
    Old 07-02-2024, 10:49 AM
    Power Poster

I have the 2010Q. The only reason I did not buy the TL 18 was because I had the older Juki TL 98 and had bought all the extra feet for the Juki over the years. I didn't need the extra feet that came with the TL18. The micro lifter didn't really raise the foot much but it would be handy if sewing very thick seams. If If was going to make heavy duty bags I'd buy an industrial machine not a semi industrial one. I bought the foot stopper for the auto thread cutter as the 2010 didn't come with it. I think it was $10. I am very happy with the 2010Q and I would have been very happy with the TL 18. Both are the same machine except the one feature of the micro lift.

Edit to say all the extra feet I use did not cost me near the $600 extra cost.

Another edit. The TL 18 has the slow motion stitch. I have no idea what that is, The speed control on the 2010 in turtle mode is slow enough for me.

You know the bobbins and feet for the Brother 1500 fit the Juki TL models. Both are semi industrial. I had the Brother 1500 ps Nouvelle before the Juki. Used it for years but no speed control or extra tension disc.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-02-2024 at 11:00 AM.
    Old 07-02-2024, 11:16 AM

Thank you so much. You also answered my question I had about the feet from My Brother Nouvelle 1500 fitting the 2010.

I've also had my 1500 for 14 years and it's been the best machine I've owned and I love sewing on it. However, I have a knock that's just started within the last few weeks and it drives me nuts. I've changed needles, rethreaded, cleaned, oiled, etc., but it's still there. I don't have any machine repair places locally and, frankly, I don't want to spend any money on it. It still sews great. I just can't stand a noisy machine (one of the many things I disliked about Janome's), so I'll consider the 2010.

I did some more research on the 18 and it seems there's problems with thread breakage and other issues with that model. I couldn't justify an extra $600 for a few attachments, when I have a ton for my 1500.
    Old 07-02-2024, 12:23 PM
    Power Poster

My Brother was years old and it started to freeze up. Brother Dealer repair fixed it and it lasted about a two months. Fixed again and froze up again. Said user error. Really, I have been sewing on the machine for almost 20 years and it was user error. I quit that shop and had a Singer repair guy fix it. He said no problem simple fix, hasn't froze again.
    I wanted speed control for machine quilting so bought the Juki. I gave the Brother to a friend who had her Brother damaged in a move. She had all the accessories so I kept mine.
    Old 07-02-2024, 01:36 PM

Well...I bit the bullet and ordered the 2010. I'm looking forward to getting it
    Old 07-02-2024, 04:46 PM
    Power Poster

i was going to suggest buying at Juki Junkies. The test sew on every new machine before shipping. Excellent customer service too and most machines ship free.
    Old 07-03-2024, 07:59 AM

OnebyOne, I’m not convinced there are extra feet. I just unpacked mine. It does have a very beefy guide that clamps onto the walking foot, rather than the hockey stick type. The compensating foot I already had (maybe bought it for the 2010?) and it doesn’t have that 1/4” standard foot that came with mine. There’s the foot pedal stopper, but that’s not expensive.

I only bought mine because I need a second one.

hugs, charlotte
    Old 07-03-2024, 08:36 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by charlottequilts
    OnebyOne, I’m not convinced there are extra feet. I just unpacked mine. It does have a very beefy guide that clamps onto the walking foot, rather than the hockey stick type. The compensating foot I already had (maybe bought it for the 2010?) and it doesn’t have that 1/4” standard foot that came with mine. There’s the foot pedal stopper, but that’s not expensive.
    Is this the TL18? If so, it should have come with several feet. If the TL2010q, just 4. Juki Junkies has a comparison table showing what comes with each TL model
    Old 07-03-2024, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

A new in box the TL 18 comes with 8 feet and two accessories.
    Old 07-03-2024, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

Just wanted to chime in to say I LOVE my 2010Q! Been sewing on it for about 8 years, or whenever it first came out. I have had a few things wear out, but I sew most every day and I sew HARD and fast. The speed control is always up on the rabbit. It's a great machine with a strong, gear driven potted (inside) motor. The only feet I use are the scant 1/4" for mostly everything, and the zipper foot and darning foot for quilting. 5 years ago I bought the Juki sit down long arm, so the 2010Q is used for piecing, binding, and making clothes now. You will love your machine.