Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for longarmers >
  • Question for longarmers

• Question for longarmers

Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 AM

I have a Babylock Crown Jewel that I am just starting to get acquainted with. I am having trouble seeing well enough to backtrack, to meet a feather at the stem without going beyond it, or coming up too short, etc. I am practicing with high contrast thread on muslin, I can imagine it will be much more difficult with matching thread.
    I do wear glasses with bifocals, but it's not enough. I also need lots more practice as well. My question is, is there a magnifying glass or some such device that anyone uses to help see better? Would the micro handles be better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 03-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Some say a black light works. Also some change out their hopping foot. Here is the foot idea http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...achine%20setup

Good luck!
    Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 AM

I'll be checking out that blogspot, too. I have the same problem, midwifehc. You actually have it EASIER when you use the same color of thread. Start looking at all your magazines/books on quilting and REALLY look at what their quilting looks like. You'll be surprised....they don't always backtrack exactly. And PPP (practice, practice, practice). Take whatever classes you can. I always thought you had to go back to the stem on a feather, but actually, the "pros" don't....they leave a slight gap so they don't have thread build-up. As for lighting....the more lighting you can get, the better. I also use a stronger pair of reading glasses. I go up to 3.75 and buy them at the dollar store. I only use them when I need to be up close and personal with the machine.

Check out this website: www.mqresource.com. You'll find some videos there that you can see without joining. If you join there's more videos and classes.

dee
    Old 03-19-2011, 01:14 PM

I never needed the "reading" [magnifying glasses] til after my recent cataract surgeries. I got a stronger pair for quilting.

My first real quilting class we were each given a tablet of children's drawing paper. We were told to practice drawing first ... the start practicing the quilting. Dollar stores have cheap drawing paper pads.

I can practice my drawing while 'listening' to TV.

ali
    Old 03-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Linda v. Taylor has a magnifing glass that hooks onto the handle and has a goose neck arm, you can point where you want it. NICE www.lequilters.com
    Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM

there are also magnifiers that clip onto your own glasses and flip down when you need them. the micro handles are nice if you don't mind getting nose-to-nose with the head of the machine. if getting closer will work for you, then that might do it.