Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A question for our longarm quilters >
  • A question for our longarm quilters

• A question for our longarm quilters

Old 12-18-2008, 06:01 AM
    Banned

I think I'm going to have to send the Crown Royal quilt to be quilted. My question is about the backing. For the center part, I've used a velour terry cloth beach towel bordered with regular fabric. Will the terrycloth cause a problem? it's not a heavy weight, I'd say it's light to medium and it's not "loopy" it's the smooth kind. I also have a king size package of Hobbs Wool batting. The top is 85" by 105".
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-37777.jpe   attachment-40091.jpe  
    Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 AM

Just wanted to say how beautiful your braided quilt is, mine did not turn out half as good as yours, maybe I will have another go
    Katherine
    Old 12-18-2008, 06:07 AM
    Banned

thank you katherine! I'm terrified of messing it up on my regular machine.
    Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 AM

Hi!
    What a pretty quilt!!
    As a fairly new longarm quilter, that back would scare me, for a couple reasons.
    1. are you wanting the backing centered on the quilt? The process of the longarm makes it difficult to do so, since all three layers are loaded separately.
    2. is the backing at least 6 to 8" wider and longer than the quilt top?
    3. Did you stabilize the terrycloth center with interfacing? If not and if the terrycloth material is stretchy, it could sag while on the frame and cause tension problems for the quilter or cause tucks from the sagging.

It's not impossible, but I would expect that the quilter may charge you more for the special backing and any issues.

Any other LA's have input? Jackie? Shelley?
    Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM
    Banned

what I can do is get 2 backings. For the quilt and then use the pirate backing to make a whole new quilt. It's not absolutely essential that both are together. I'm more concerned with the CR quilt turning out the best it can. Fiance would love it just as much or even more if I got some of the beatles fabric for the backing.
    Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
    what I can do is get 2 backings. For the quilt and then use the pirate backing to make a whole new quilt. It's not absolutely essential that both are together. I'm more concerned with the CR quilt turning out the best it can. Fiance would love it just as much or even more if I got some of the beatles fabric for the backing.
    That sounds like the best idea! It would be lovely to have the panel as it's own quilt. For one, you would probably want custom on the french braid and unless the quilter uses mono-poly (clear thread), the back (or the panel) will look messy and detract from the panel look. Whereas, if you quilt the panel separately, you can have the quilter use a nice red thread for a background fill and crosshatch the squares around it.
    Use a nice black and white busy backing for the french braid and a red and black backing for the panel quilt. There are some really nice red and black batiks out there that would look great on it, if you want to spend the money. I always try to get the top maker to select a backing to match the thread they'll want on the quilt.
    Good luck and post photos when they are done!
    Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 AM
    Banned

thanks Karen:) those are the things I really didn't know about. Especially the specific kinds of backing. Wonderful info! is there such a thing as a variegated black/white/grey longarm thread for the CR quilt top thread?
    Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 AM

That is so pretty and it sounds like you are getting some good advice. Love this forum!
    Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
    thanks Karen:) those are the things I really didn't know about. Especially the specific kinds of backing. Wonderful info! is there such a thing as a variegated black/white/grey longarm thread for the CR quilt top thread?
    Yep, Superior makes one in their Lava and King Tut products. I use Isacord and they have one too. Maxilock also has a black/white variegated.
    Can't wait to see it finished!
    Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM
    Banned

lol, you may end up doing it if the lady I send mine to has stopped quilting. I haven't talked to her in about 2 years.