Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!! >
  • Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!!

• Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM
    Power Poster

I like the kits of five fabrics, one yard each. You could do them in several different styles - kids, soft romantic florals, earthy tones, or modern prints. I think having some yardage cuts for backing that could work with more than one kit would be a plus.
    Old 05-08-2012, 01:47 PM

I have purchased kits from Hancock's of Paducah and Keepsake Quilting. Both have had ample fabric. I purchase the backing at the same time. Maybe not the suggested backing, but still the fabric for it. I have learned that sometimes the fabric collection sells out online and I can't get the fabric I wanted for the backing if I wait. I buy pastel kits as gifts for the lady that has been teaching me to quilt. She doesn't like the bold batik colors or the more vivid colored fabric, but I do. When my depression was worse, I bought very dark muted earthy tones for quilts ( haven't made them up yet, either) Bright colors are cheerful.
    Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM

I think if you want to sell kits or patterns, you need to have samples already made. If possible in more than one color way. I love kits, buy them all the time and have always had more than enough fabric left over. I think you will find lots of people who love the idea of a kit and lots who want to choose their own fabrics. My favorite Quilt Shops are the ones that have lots of samples hanging in their shop.
    Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM

I have made five quilts from kits. I like buying the backing with the kit. My experience with using kits has been very positive. I have loved the fabrics and always had enough.
    Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM

I like to buy kits. I do not purchase the backing with the kit. I buy the backing after the top is complete. I like bright, modern colors. A black background makes the most striking quilt, in my opinion.

I wish there were more bargello quilt kits. I would gladly pay for someone else to pick out the 20 fabrics needed.

Please no pre-washed fabrics.
    Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM

It depends if I like the fabrics or colorway in the kits, but I do purchase them, sometimes just the pattern
    Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 PM

I've never had a problem with too little fabric from a kit, I usually have lots of fabric leftover. I use kits and precuts most of the time, I am creatively challenged and just like putting something together that I see and like. I don't trust my ability to come up with the right color combinations on my own. It's the proces of sewing and putting my quilts together and then quilting them that I enjoy. I have fabric I have purchased because I just like it and have no idea what yo do with it. I was on a Mary Englebrite jag for a while, mostly putting boarders on panels, now I have two baskets full of her fabric that I may never use. Anyone want some Mary Englebrite pieces, I got them off of EBAY, now don't know what to do with them. Maybe someday I'll get creative on my own.