Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question on pressing seam >
  • Question on pressing seam

• Question on pressing seam

Old 09-14-2015, 03:29 AM

Funny to read this topic just this week. I was working on a Hunter's Star block and boy oh boy did I have trouble with pressing those seams. First I would press all the blocks towards the darkest triangle which I thought would give me opposing seams when sewing it all together but that really didn't work. I had a devil of a time and actually wound up sewing any which way and then pressing the heck out of them from the right side. I sure wish I had asked about this before I started. This was supposed to be fast and easy but turned out to be slow and hard. I'm at the finish line now and it is beautiful but never again.
    Old 09-14-2015, 04:29 AM
    Power Poster

I usually press seams open that give me a problem with overlap.
    Old 09-14-2015, 05:08 AM
    Power Poster

I would not worry about pressing the sashing outwards allowing the points of the nine patch to lay flat. I am more concern with the accuracy of you 1/4" seams attaching the white setting triangles. I also try to nest my seams when possible.
    Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM

I have done a few rows,ended up pressing towards 4 patch. Even after thinking I wouldn't. My seams are matching so on. And that was my deciding factor. I could do the snip, on the problem block. Right now I am not forcing the seam at the bump point. But repressing as I go. Thanks so much for the help. This is my first scrapy. I started it on the Labor Day sew along. Here is a picture of the three rows.I have all the blocks done. But needed a break. That's a lots of seams to match. Wow. [ATTACH=CONFIG]530726[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 09-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by butter14562
    I have done a few rows,ended up pressing towards 4 patch. Even after thinking I wouldn't. My seams are matching so on. And that was my deciding factor. I could do the snip, on the problem block. Right now I am not forcing the seam at the bump point. But repressing as I go. Thanks so much for the help. This is my first scrapy. I started it on the Labor Day sew along. Here is a picture of the three rows.I have all the blocks done. But needed a break. That's a lots of seams to match. Wow. [ATTACH=CONFIG]530726[/ATTACH]
    Beautiful scrappy. Great matching on the seams.
    Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM

I press seams open...but I always use The Strip Stick, available on line. Makes pressing easier
    Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM

I never had problems in matching seams when I sewed clothing for thirty-five years and pressed the seams open. In pressing for quilting, I have choices when I come to the bulk of seams--pressing them open is my favorite choice now too. Whatever works the best is the right way IMHO and my seams are not coming apart.
    Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM

I understand the seams in clothing too, I have sewed clothing for myself since teenager. Then I joined the quilting world. And I think I too will consider the open seams going forward. A couple years ago,I pulled out a flannel blanket I was making,that was put away for a long time. I even had the cheerio box templates. And guess what? All the seams were pressed open.I remember opening it up,and saying to myself,now I pressed these seams wrong. Guess who just came foe circle. I'll probably do both ways.