Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question re: Bernina BSR and thread tension >
  • Question re: Bernina BSR and thread tension

• Question re: Bernina BSR and thread tension

Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Question re: Bernina BSR and thread tension

I am just learning to use the BSR on my new machine (440QE). According to the Bernina website, the BSR is supposed to "eliminate problems related to thread tension." Boy, that isn't the case for me. In addition to the usual learning curve with the BSR, all my samples look like the top tension is too loose and the bobbin tension is too tight, but when I adjust first one then the other (v-e-r-y carefully and just slightly on the bobbin tension,) there is little discrenible change and I keep getting loops all over the back. I've had the upper tension all the way up to 10 and the problem persisted.

Has anyone else encountered this and solved it? I need some ideas on how to get past this so I can concentrate on making smooth loops, etc.

Many thanks for any input.
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM

Have you tried threading the bobbin like you do for embroidery, running the thread through the little hole on the tiny arm that sticks up from the bobbin case? Your tension problems might also be related to trying to move the fabric too fast while the machine is not running fast enough. If you continue to have problems, perhaps you should take it in and show your Bernina dealer the problem you are experiencing...maybe they can help.
    Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Rethreading everything may help....sometimes I have to do this too....I think it just comes with the territory!
    Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
    Power Poster

I agree with momto5. This doesn't sound like a tension problem, so the first thing to do is check to see that the machine is threaded correctly and that the bobbin is wound smoothly. Then try putting another foot on the machine and see if you get normal stitches. If you don't, then adjust the tension with that foot until it's right. The same tension setting should be fine with the BSR. Make sure you have the BSR engaged properly, set to either BSR1 or BSR2, feed dogs down, use the machine setting so that you get the beep if you move the fabric too fast for the BSR to keep up, and then try again. If you hear the beep, slow down. Hope this helps.
    Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
    Power Poster

It sounds like you don't have any tension. It may sound silly but did you put the lever for the foot down? If the lever is up there is no tension on the thread. When you press BSR 1 and move the fabric, does the light come on? If the red light is not on the foot, it is not working. You should not have to have your top tension at 10. Is your thread too thin? Try a heavier weight thread in the top to see if that engages the tension better. You may have to go to your local Bernina dealer if you are still having problems tomorrow.
    Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 PM

I'd call the dealer and explain what's happening. My dealer is very familiar with my voice, as I talk to him regularly. He is the doctor for all my sewing machines. LOL Good luck and let us know what solves the problem.
    Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 AM

When using the BSR make sure you remember to put your feed dogs down and to press the BSR button on the front of your 400QE. A little red light in the BSR should be on. If you are having tension problems then, try adjusting the top tension. You should never adjust the tension on the bobbin (unless you have a second bobbin that stays at factory setting.) Also, did you buy your 440 QE from a Bernina dealer? If so, ask them if they updated the BSR before they sold it to you - if you bought the machine from someone else take the BSR to your Bernina dealer and ask them to update it. All they have to do is put it on a brand new machine and run it and it updates the internal software. While there, ask them to stitch a bit with it and see if they too have tension problems and what they do to fix it. Good luck with your BSR and your 440QE - I have the same machine!
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 AM

I have a 440QE too and I made the mistake of turning the little screw on the bobbin. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they recalibrated it. It works like a charm now. You might try this.
    Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

I turn the little screw on the bobbin of my Bernina all the time. All you have to do to get it back to the original setting is retighten it a little and test it. To test: put the bobbin in the case, run the thread through the tension, grasp the thread in your hand and see if the bobbin and bobbin case descends from your hand like a spider on it's silk. It should have enough tension that it descends slowly with a little motion from the hand grasping the thread. Put it back in the machine and try it. Some machines like the thread tighter or looser, find your machines favourite setting.
    I like to use thicker threads in my case for bobbin work, so adjusting the bobbin is critical.

Last edited by Tartan; 01-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM

I have an 830 with BSR and encountered the same problems. You have to loosen the tension on your machine, sometimes I go as low as .50. When quilting I use a 90/14 topstitch needle and make sure you have matching thread in the bobbin!!! If you continue having problems go to the dealer and work with them to find the proper tension/thread to make your project work.