Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question,,,,,???? >
  • question,,,,,????

• question,,,,,????

Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 AM

I have a sewing room that is 18 x 18. Three walls, my hubby built shelves on for me, and those three walls cover three of the bedroom walls and are loaded with fabric. So I have been "Paying it Forward" and sending people who need it a box at a time. I did all I could this month but will post again next month which is just around the corner. I teach quilting at the senior center and other places and people have donated the fabric from relatives when they pass. Plus I am a fabricaholic. I seem to buy too much but can't refuse a sale. So let's hope the bug doesn't bite you too soon. I also have a short wall with bins of Projects to start and projects to finish, etc. The other half of that wall is quilt tops completed and ready to quilt or be donated to one of the kids organizations. So I have decided to give fabric away until they stay within the walls of my roonm and not fall into the hallway. LOL.In a year, you post again and let us know how much you have gathered.LOL
    Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 AM

Should we send her to the vintage machine shoppe?
    Old 05-30-2010, 06:29 AM
    Google Goddess

welcome, and thanks for posting your ? we all learn from each other
    Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 AM
    bj

At first, my stash built slowly from extra fabric left from projects. Then I got bitten by the FQ bug and I have lots of those. Now, I will buy yardage of something that strikes my fancy just because I like it. My stash is still not as impressive as many I've seen on this board. I just don't have storage space for it.
    Old 05-30-2010, 06:50 AM

My favorite quilts are scrappy. I rarely make a quilt with less than 20 different fabrics in it, and usually more, so I tend to have lots of fat quarters, then lots of scraps from fat quarters, plus my vintage fabrics that I can't seem to stop buying. But for me, I have been unable to complete a quilt with only a few fabrics. I just lose interest. It's the fabrics and playing with color and pattern that I love.
    Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 AM

I've never had the money to buy ahead, so when I want to make something, I wait until I have cash and then buy what I need. My "stash" as you call it is what would be small remments leftover from sewing clothes for my granddaughters. I kept those so I could make baby quilts for them someday. When I see some of the sewing rooms and stashes on here, I just drool. How wonderful it would be to have rooms like those instead of a corner in my bedroom, and to have fabric on hand to choose from when I see a pretty pattern on here that I would love to try. I'm not complaining, and I am so glad for you who are able to do things that way, can. And to those of you who pay forward, I think you are wonderful , generous ladies . Bless you all!!!
    Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 AM

I'm like everyone else, I bought what I needed at first then I bought what I liked & extra of it for a stash. I like to do scrappy quilts, a little of this & a little of that!! I don't need any more fabric, but ......! Did I forget to mention that I'm going to Hancock's today?
    Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I have a sewing room that is 18 x 18. Three walls, my hubby built shelves on for me, and those three walls cover three of the bedroom walls and are loaded with fabric. So I have been "Paying it Forward" and sending people who need it a box at a time. I did all I could this month but will post again next month which is just around the corner. I teach quilting at the senior center and other places and people have donated the fabric from relatives when they pass. Plus I am a fabricaholic. I seem to buy too much but can't refuse a sale. So let's hope the bug doesn't bite you too soon. I also have a short wall with bins of Projects to start and projects to finish, etc. The other half of that wall is quilt tops completed and ready to quilt or be donated to one of the kids organizations. So I have decided to give fabric away until they stay within the walls of my roonm and not fall into the hallway. LOL.In a year, you post again and let us know how much you have gathered.LOL
    LOL... I will post in a year,, lol.. maybe it will hit me by then,,,
    Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 AM

whoo,, I was beginning to think I was alone in this matter,, I see alot of fabric I love and owuld love to have,, but I was always worried that I would have to have it,,then when it came time to cutting it,, I would not want to because it was so pretty.. or that I would have so much,, that I would get overwhelmed by what I have,, and not be able to choose,,lol... does think make sense to anyone else besides me? :?: :-o
    Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 AM

My mom only buys fabric as she needs it. I keep teasing her she's not a real quilter. :mrgreen: She is shocked by my stash and can't understand why I would collect it before I actually need it. Just another thing we don't see eye to eye on.

I think it's just what makes you happier or more comfortable.