Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question,,,,,???? >
  • question,,,,,????

• question,,,,,????

Old 05-30-2010, 09:56 AM
    Power Poster

Oh my, you are so abnormal. JUST KIDDING!!!
    It made me smile when I read it. I started the same way. Signed up for a beginning quilting class, bought exactly what I needed. That was about a million yards of fabric ago :D:D
    Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    whoo,, I was beginning to think I was alone in this matter,, I see alot of fabric I love and owuld love to have,, but I was always worried that I would have to have it,,then when it came time to cutting it,, I would not want to because it was so pretty.. or that I would have so much,, that I would get overwhelmed by what I have,, and not be able to choose,,lol... does think make sense to anyone else besides me? :?: :-o
    Anything on this board may or may not make sense but it doesn't matter :) I DO get overwhelmed at times though, so I'm using up my way-to-large stash and if some doesn't get used it's okay. Getting overwhelmed for me is from the amount, not that I won't be able to choose. I can keep it, give it away. or just enjoy looking at it. I eventually seem to use most though.
    Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    My mom only buys fabric as she needs it. I keep teasing her she's not a real quilter. :mrgreen: She is shocked by my stash and can't understand why I would collect it before I actually need it. Just another thing we don't see eye to eye on.

I think it's just what makes you happier or more comfortable.
    My sister was like that but she's not a quilter so I explained to her that it's like an artist only having one color of paint. My husband is really understanding about it- but he's creative himself so I think it's easy to understand for him.
    Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    I'm like everyone else, I bought what I needed at first then I bought what I liked & extra of it for a stash. I like to do scrappy quilts, a little of this & a little of that!! I don't need any more fabric, but ......! Did I forget to mention that I'm going to Hancock's today?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Have fun, dear!! You deserve it b/c you just made me LOL :D
    Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Don't feel as your out in left field by yourself. We all started that way. When the sales happened, so did I!!! Then I just kept looking and little by little I grew to 17 containers of fabric!!! Honey, you'll get there!! :lol: :lol: Welcome to the club!!
    Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    I only have fabric that I know I have a quilt for it...
    Consider yourself lucky! You obviously do not have the buying for the sake of buying bug. It's a devil in disguise. I am currently on a self-proclaimed buying moratorium. It's hard!
    Old 05-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Okay, I confess, I am a fabriholic...You are not going to get me in rehab! I love fabric and I love scrap quilts. It is amazing how many quilts my favorite fabrics show up in and it is really tramatic when I run out of a favorite! But like so many others I am running out of space so I am "slowing" down on my fabric purchases.
    Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
    My favorite quilts are scrappy. I rarely make a quilt with less than 20 different fabrics in it, and usually more, so I tend to have lots of fat quarters, then lots of scraps from fat quarters, plus my vintage fabrics that I can't seem to stop buying. But for me, I have been unable to complete a quilt with only a few fabrics. I just lose interest. It's the fabrics and playing with color and pattern that I love.
    I agree with this completely. I have been quilting for 35 years - so I've had a lot of time to collect fabrics. I make mostly scrap quilts. My purchasing habits: I buy remnants unless I hate them. I buy yardage when I need it. I buy fat quarters for the variety. If there is a really good sale - watch out pocketbook!
    I bought a book years ago called Color and Cloth (Mary Coyne Penders) and from doing some of her exercises found the colors that I avoided. I filled those empty spots in.
    I now have 2 1/2 dressers full of neatly folded, color organized fabric. I rarely have to go searching for the "right" one. I can't imagine going into a store to pick out 6 fabrics that work together in one trip. Just isn't going to happen.
    Buy what you like. Enjoy the process. And keep your scraps!
    Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 AM

I started out this way, just buying what I needed for a project. As time went on though, while buying fabric for a project I would see other fabrics that I just had to have.
    When I see a "must have" fabric I buy 3yds, other's that I really like I will buy 1-2yds. I don't have a huge stash, but I have enough that I have slowed down on buying "extras". :-D
    Old 05-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Sorry, I am Hooked on Fabric! I wish I were more like you but I love fabric. I love looking at it, buying it, making things out of it-- or not, I love fondling it, smelling it, telling others about it, gloating if I get a great deal on it, and on and on and on....