Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question,,,,,???? >
  • question,,,,,????

• question,,,,,????

Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Maybe I am just different. I had a stash before I ever thought about quilting.
    Everytime I sewed something I always had leftovers and always kept them. I think it is something learned from DM and GM. I guess in my case it runs in the family..LOL:)
    Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Guess it depends on which "Bug" bites you first! LOL
    The Quilting Bug or the Fabric Bug. Be aware too that there are also Gadget Bugs, Pattern Bugs, Forum Bugs, Swap Bugs, Machine Bugs...

Ladies did I forget anything? :)
    Yes, FREE embroidery designs and thread..........I got so many I don't think I will ever use them, but just in case, I download it, because someday I might need it. hahaha :lol:

I got the fabric bug bad!
    Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 PM

I started out making baby quilts, still my favorites. Then I found a pattern I really liked that called for "not quite" 1 yard of focus fabric, and 2 1/2 yards of secondary fabric. Then I started buying 1 yard cuts of kids fabric I loved. Now I buy 1 yard of anything under $5 I like, 3 yards if I love, and 5 yards if I can't live without it. But, I have very few 5 yard cuts and about 100 1-yard kids cuts.

People have donated fabric to me by the bolt. I use that for backs if I don't like it. I give it away to new quilters.

I buy fqs if I find them under $1, will pay no more than that. Still have a pretty large collection.

I have one shelf of "boxes of quilts". These are complete quilt kits I have made, with the pattern, and the beautiful fabrics, for "someday."
    Old 05-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Let's face it folks, most of us have a not so rare form if OCD - we have OCFBF: Obsessive Compulsive Fabric Buying Disease
    Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
    Power Poster

I started out just buying what I needed. Now I buy because I love it. My stash isn't as big as some but is big enough for me.
    Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Don't feel as your out in left field by yourself. We all started that way. When the sales happened, so did I!!! Then I just kept looking and little by little I grew to 17 containers of fabric!!! Honey, you'll get there!! :lol: :lol: Welcome to the club!!
    lol...... :lol:
    Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 AM

I used to buy enough fabric for only one project... but I'd buy a bit more than needed 'cause I was still learning and if I messed up, well I could just sew the extra fabric rather than take that dreaded seam-ripper out. As I got better I built up a tiny stash with the extra fabric I wasn't using 'cause I wasn't messing up. Then I made my first scrappy quilt from the leftovers... and boy am I hooked now. I buy remanants and fat quarters 'cause the budget is still really tight but I find that now I crave the variety.
    Old 05-31-2010, 03:00 AM

I just have to be prepared. If I wake up in the morning and decide I want to start a project, I don't want to have to spend half the day looking for fabric to start it.

My stash also grows because I choose fabric to start a project, then one of the fabrics I have chosen will send me back to shop for more fabric to add another level of color or print. Which also leads to purchasing additional fabric. It is necessary to be flexible, especially as your project evolves and grows.

We share lots of fabrics in our quilt guild -- it offers each of us more options. Often someone else will have that fabric that we would not give a second glance to, but our block needs that little something to make it complete.

And, buying fabric just makes me feel good!
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 AM

I buy fabric I like when I see it because it may not be there again when I want it. Fabrics and fabric lines are constantly changing. My SIL who quilts told me if you like it, buy one yard: if you love it, buy 2: if you REALLY love it, buy three. I have found that to be good advice. My stash is not large but I know over time it will get bigger. I just love fabric shopping! :D
    Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by cwessel47
    Originally Posted by hazeljane
    My favorite quilts are scrappy. I rarely make a quilt with less than 20 different fabrics in it, and usually more, so I tend to have lots of fat quarters, then lots of scraps from fat quarters, plus my vintage fabrics that I can't seem to stop buying. But for me, I have been unable to complete a quilt with only a few fabrics. I just lose interest. It's the fabrics and playing with color and pattern that I love.
    I agree with this completely. I have been quilting for 35 years - so I've had a lot of time to collect fabrics. I make mostly scrap quilts. My purchasing habits: I buy remnants unless I hate them. I buy yardage when I need it. I buy fat quarters for the variety. If there is a really good sale - watch out pocketbook!
    I bought a book years ago called Color and Cloth (Mary Coyne Penders) and from doing some of her exercises found the colors that I avoided. I filled those empty spots in.
    I now have 2 1/2 dressers full of neatly folded, color organized fabric. I rarely have to go searching for the "right" one. I can't imagine going into a store to pick out 6 fabrics that work together in one trip. Just isn't going to happen.
    Buy what you like. Enjoy the process. And keep your scraps!
    And please show us some pics of the results of yourwork.
    I am always looking for new[to me] patterns of scrap quilts.
    I have a small stash and would like to put it to good use.