Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question,,,,,???? >
  • question,,,,,????

• question,,,,,????

Old 05-31-2010, 04:46 AM

As I have told you before I live next door to my favorite fabric store. My stash is so large if a client of hers is looking for a specific piece of fabric and she doesnt have it,she calls me to see if It might be in my stash. LOl
    Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 AM

You will "develop" your methods as you get more involved in quilting. You may never be a "stash" kind of gal.

For me, it is less expensive to keep a stash (medium sized) because it's almost all fabric that I bought on sale or with a coupon. On a few occasions, I've bought just what I need for a specific quilt, but it always ends up costing me much more per yard that way.
    Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 AM

At first, I bought a controlled range of colors and a controlled range of "textures" and print sizes so that I could make some of the cute quilts that made me want to begin to quilt. But not a whole lot of stuff, just some of everything I might need.

Then as I made more and more quilts, I saw ahead into the near and not-so-near future what I might come to want/need (is there any diff?) and thus began my stash.

Now I need rarely go outside my stash for what I need.

But can we say "Shopping spree" and "It called my name" - ?

I just yesterday bought 8 scrub tops from a garage sale, nurses downsizing dontcha know, and all cotton and cute as the dickens.
    Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 AM

Yes, if you are not careful this whole wonderful sewing process can drive you "Buggy"! :mrgreen:
    Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 AM

With fabric prices starting up again, I'll be looking for sales on batiks. Started buying them in mid 1970s when they looked like something you might find in India or Africa. $4 a yard was an outrageous price back then. I do large wall hangings and need lots for background. When necessary I paint/ink my own background material especially skies and water and of course animal fur!
    Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 AM

Most of my original "stash" was scraps from clothing I'd sewn. I only bought fabric for clothing when I had a specific project in mind... Well, sometimes I ended up not actually getting around to it. Then I lost my stash in a move. Suddenly I felt bereft and started buying whatever I could afford, just I would have something to sew with if the urge struck me. But I wasn't as picky as I should have been, and ended up with some fabrics I just didn't really like that much. Plus, friends and relatives started giving me their scraps and unwanted stash - several old ladies said "I just don't sew anymore, would you be interested..."

So I ended up with a lot of fabrics that are not really "me". Now I am working on using up/getting rid of what doesn't fit my current vision for the types of quilts I want to make, and buying more intentionally, filling out the color gaps in my stash, buying better quality, etc.

But I like having a stash, in part because I live out in the country, and it wouldn't be practical to run into town every time I had an idea about something I want to make. I'm saving gas this way...really. :)
    Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    ok,, this may sound like I am an alien that dropped here,, HOW EVER,,, I only have fabric that I know I have a quilt for it... Is this normal? I see all the wonderful pictures of your sewing spaces and see tons of fabric,, I love them,, but I have never had bulk of any one kind. I am fairly new to quilting, so will this change as I get more confident in quilting? May sound like a question from far left field ,, just wondering?lol... :-D
    I started out just like you 5 yrs ago. I vowed I would finish what I started before attempting anything else. Now I have I don't know how many ufo's, wip's, etc. and the fabric buying just becomes addictive. Hey I could have worse habits.
    Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    ok,, this may sound like I am an alien that dropped here,, HOW EVER,,, I only have fabric that I know I have a quilt for it... Is this normal? I see all the wonderful pictures of your sewing spaces and see tons of fabric,, I love them,, but I have never had bulk of any one kind. I am fairly new to quilting, so will this change as I get more confident in quilting? May sound like a question from far left field ,, just wondering?lol... :-D
    I started out just buying what I needed for my first quilt. (a wall hanging). Then got the bug that I realized I could quilt. My DH asked if I could make one for our grandson...... so ALL this is DH's fault :lol: :lol:

I then started planning other quilts and found fabric for it. NOW... I see fabric that I just have to have. My stash is growing..... I only have three (opps make that four) rows of fabric on bookshelves, and two drawers with smaller pieces set aside for known projects, a drawer for scrap pieces, and two drawers of smaller pieces for Unknowns. ;)
    Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 AM

I was like that at first too. Then I started going on fabric shopping outings--by myself--and then I got hooked. I love fabric and quilt shops. I love touching it, smelling it, looking at it . . . when I have trouble getting to sleep at night, I think about fabric. If I see something I really like, I buy three yards. Over time, I've realized that even if I have no pattern in mind, one comes along that is perfect for each fabric I purchase. (I'm still waiting for one for those pink flamingos on a white background--it's one of my oldest ones!) Suggestions are always welcomed.
    Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM

9 patch pizazz