• Main
  • question,,,,,???? >
  • question,,,,,????

• question,,,,,????

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM

I started out just buying what I needed for a quilt. Now I
    have a whole closet full of fabric, If I see fabric that I
    like I buy 2-3 yards of it, cause I know when I go back later
    it will be all gone. Hence, the full closet and am now branching outside of the closet. LOL.

P.S. to debbieumphress - your avatar is adorable.
    Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM

It depends upon your personality and your pocketbook, I think. I can't STAND it when I need something I don't have so I tend to have a LOT of fabric. I have a lot of other stuff, too but I'm not a hoarder. My things are all nicely organized.
    Old 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    You are not alone :wink: there are quilters who only buy as they go... The rest of us may be just as hooked on fabric as we are making quilts :D:D:D
    Over time, you may find that you just HAVE to have this fabric or THAT one.... LOL
    I usually buy what I need (plus a bit extra, JIC), but sometimes I also find a fabric that I must have...it's so breathtaking, I know I will use it somewhere?? right?

At least that's how I then decide that I want to start another project, in that color, of course that means I also have to then buy more coordinating colors to make this new project. And then it begins again.
    Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 AM

Dear Quilting Friend, You do as you feel comfortable right now. Time will change how you approach each quilt project. I am limited in space to quilt and a dear friend who is no longer in the quilt shop business gave me these BAGS of fabric. Now I'll be quilting until I'm 105 to use up all these goodies. Oh My !!!! Have fun in your new endeavor.
    Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    ok,, this may sound like I am an alien that dropped here,, HOW EVER,,, I only have fabric that I know I have a quilt for it... Is this normal? I see all the wonderful pictures of your sewing spaces and see tons of fabric,, I love them,, but I have never had bulk of any one kind. I am fairly new to quilting, so will this change as I get more confident in quilting? May sound like a question from far left field ,, just wondering?lol... :-D
    I have 2 or 3 quilting friends who've each been quilting for 15+ years and have very limited stash, as they buy only for the quilt that they're making. When enough leftovers are left they all make charity quilts and then have no stash again.
    I, on the other hand have 1000+ yards of fabric, no kidding
    Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM

I have 2 or 3 quilting friends who've each been quilting for 15+ years and have very limited stash, as they buy only for the quilt that they're making. When enough leftovers are left they all make charity quilts and then have no stash again.
    I, on the other hand have 1000+ yards of fabric, no kidding[/quote]

Ohhhh, I envy you, how wonderful to have so much fabric to choose from!!! You wouldn't even have to use sheets for backing! LOL. Not that I really mind using the sheets, they are sturdy and long lasting if I choose wisely. And I do enjoy the spirit of the hunt for fabrics in yard sales and thrift stores! So I'm really not complaining about my lot. I am blessed with what I have, I know!!!
    Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Buying more than you need is a great expense. You may think, "Some day I will need this". and then find that "some day" you never needed it or you won't reuse material for a quilt that you made a purse out of because you just get sick of the pattern. In such a case as this, it's fun to get together with QB's and share your extras!!!!! This could be a fun party!!!! and quilt at the same time!! You could make them into FQ's and have a FQ's frenzy!!! Hey, can wetrade online?
    Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    ok,, this may sound like I am an alien that dropped here,, HOW EVER,,, I only have fabric that I know I have a quilt for it... Is this normal? I see all the wonderful pictures of your sewing spaces and see tons of fabric,, I love them,, but I have never had bulk of any one kind. I am fairly new to quilting, so will this change as I get more confident in quilting? May sound like a question from far left field ,, just wondering?lol... :-D
    :wink:
    Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

[quote=Alisapao730]Buying more than you need is a great expense. You may think, "Some day I will need this". and then find that "some day" you never needed it or you won't reuse material for a quilt that you made a purse out of because you just get sick of the pattern. In such a case as this, it's fun to get together with QB's and share your extras!!!!! This could be a fun party!!!! and quilt at the same time!! You could make them into FQ's and have a FQ's frenzy!!! Hey, can we trade online? quote]

sure you can trade online, just post in the classified that you have fabric to trade, you can even say what you are interested in getting and what you have to trade for it. This board is great like that!!!
    Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Thank you![quote=wildyard]
    Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    Buying more than you need is a great expense. You may think, "Some day I will need this". and then find that "some day" you never needed it or you won't reuse material for a quilt that you made a purse out of because you just get sick of the pattern. In such a case as this, it's fun to get together with QB's and share your extras!!!!! This could be a fun party!!!! and quilt at the same time!! You could make them into FQ's and have a FQ's frenzy!!! Hey, can we trade online? quote]

sure you can trade online, just post in the classified that you have fabric to trade, you can even say what you are interested in getting and what you have to trade for it. This board is great like that!!!
    Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 PM
    Banned

I have a small stash now from all the wonderful people on this board. I am a new quilter also, and if I had a choice, I would have a large stash so I could just make what I want to, and have the fabric I need. God bless. Penny