Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question on these fancy computerized machines >
  • Question on these fancy computerized machines

• Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 AM

What happens when a thunderstorm happens and you are not at home? I have surge protectors; but storms happen so quickly and often when I'm away. I really don't worry about it much and my husband who is up on these things, doesn't go around unplugging unless we are going to be away for days.
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

I have a surge protector on my new machine but I don't usually unplug her. I know I should but I always forget. I do unplug all electrical if I go on vacation for a while.
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 AM

I have never heard anything about unplugging a SM every night. I always turn it off - but you are supposed to unplug too?
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

I try and remember to unplug my machine when not in use. I leave the plug in the surge protector & just unplug it at the machine. As far as sewing during a storm, I personally would not.
    I have my machine plugged into a UPS/surge protector (uniterruptable power source). It's basically a battery pack that provides power for a limited amount of time when the electricity fails. My machine is a sewing/embroidery unit. If I'm embroidering and loose power, the UPS gives me a few minutes of up time to stop & record where in the design I am so that I can restart it when power returns.
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sewmagic
    ditto!!
    Originally Posted by Greenheron
    I don't use any electronic equipment or anything connected to plumbing during a storm. Surge protectors are not 100% reliable. Unplug your machine. :thumbup:
    ditto,ditto.only plugged in when using them
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM

My Janome dealer told me to always unplug my SM when not in use and that is what I do. I lost a computerized SM once due to a power surge. The motherboard was fried. The surge protector was useless.
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM

I unplug "everything" when not in use. You would be surprised as to how much this helps with the electric bill as well as keeping electronics safe.
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by klc
    Congrats on your new Horizon. I love mine! As for precautions I take (other than the surge protector), I unplug my machine during lightening storms. Do not use magnets near your machine. I was also told not to use canned air to clean out my machine (it is hard on the computer). As for any other things to do, just keep her clean of dust bunnies, use caution and gently clean as the auto thread cutter and other parts can get messed up. Go to classes and learn all you can about using your machine. Enjoy! They really are a wonderful machine.
    I agree with all above except I am not always "on the ball" so to speak about running around unplugging items which I should be. Remember do NOT take a shower, do dishes in a sink or use a land line telephone during a T-storm - lightning can strike and come in via telephone lines and plumbing. I must confess to using my hand held phone because I have read it is safe if you stay away from the base.

Nancy
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Hate to say it but it never even occured to me to unplug. I use a surge protector because was told to as my beloved Janome is computerized but I probably deal with less thunderstorms in so cal too. When I think of considerations for computerized machines I think of no magnets (how do they use that new magnetized hoop I wonder!) and quality of thread. Cheap cotton frays more and more lint is not good. As for the serger part I am clueless. I inherited a Babylock evolve and a giant cardboard box of serger thread I have yet to use. What does a dedicated quilter do with a serger?
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

As expensive as some of these machines are, I would unplug the surge protector/machine when the machine is not in use and during storms.
    Your insurance may not cover this loss, some higher end items like this need to be insured separately to be covered for electrical storms,fire,etc... :wink: :D:D:D