Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community >
  • Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community

• Question? Thinking about opening a small quilt shop in my community

Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM

My biggest issue is that I too work fulltime and many of the LQSs in the area have the same hours I do with a short day on Saturday and not open on Sundays. I understand the owners wanting timeoff, but I have to work to be able to afford fabric! If you aren't open at some point when I am off and not busy with family things, I will shop with you. But if I only have one slot a week, that is tough to make. Especially when I can sit in my jammies at any point at night and order online.

That said, many of the LQS that I find have been more successful also offer sewing and quilting machines to help bring people into the store.
    Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 AM

I know absolutely nothing about this, but I really love Patmadrid's idea of featuring used quilting supplies. Here's another thought: if it's that much cheaper to have an online store, what about doing that first and offering a "carryout" service to people who are local, to save postage. Once you establish a loyal local clientele, it would be a shorter step to opening a physical shop.

A lot of small stores around here that sell other things seem to be able to order whatever you want in a few days. I am guessing that's not an option for a LQS because there are minimum quantities?

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts
    I know absolutely nothing about this, but I really love Patmadrid's idea of featuring used quilting supplies...
    Hugs,
    Charlotte
    I love this idea. Anything that helps quilters save money and/or helps to develop a sense of community is great.

~ C
    Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 AM

You've gotten lots of great suggestions! One of my favs was in an old house and the owner actually still lived in part of it. For me with any retail business, how I'm treated makes a huge difference in my return. I don't get quilt shops who act like snobs and don't seem to even care if I'm there. If I feel invisible, I usually make sure I become invisible, and take my business elsewhere. As for what to sell, I agree with the ones who recommend finding a unique niche. I am a cat person and if I find a LQS that carries cat fabric, I am there! I wouldn't mind a store cat to pet, but I know some people are allergic. I was very spoiled living in Atlanta, as there were so many LQS and each catered to different interests. Children s fabric, novelty fabrics, batiks, brights, traditional, etc. Lots of finished projects to entice me. Having a dedicated group that meets for sewing is always good. Fun events. One shop had a "pajama sale." It was an end of year sale. She opened at 7am. If you showed up at 7am in your jammies, you got a certain percentage off. The later you showed up, the less you saved. The shop was packed at 7am with people in the most clever "pajama" outfits, including curlers in their hair and rabbit slippers on their feet. Obviously for customers to know about such fun events, you have to maintain a webpage, blog, newsletter, something to keep a following. Be sure to put signs on main roads as I know when I travel, I love to visit local quilt shops. I agree with the suggestion of carrying unique local crafts, artwork and items, such as local honey. Good luck with your decision!
    Old 01-24-2015, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

A major quilt store just recently closed in Orange County that had been open since the 80s. The local store down near Temecula closed last April due to falling sales. It cost a lot of money to run a brick & mortar quilt shop. Do extensive research to see if it a comment you want to make.
    Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM

I almost bought a quilt shop once. But after looking at the financials, I decided it wasn't worth it. Business gurus say that you have to be able to survive a year without making any money. Fabric shops in general make their money off of notions and supplies. Not enough profit in fabric. Go to any big quilt show and you'll see people gathering around the "things that go with quilting" and not as many around the fabrics. With the cost of fabric skyrocketing, does your area have enough income base to afford to quilt? Once you own a shop, most of your time will be spent in running the shop, not in helping people make quilts.
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:04 AM

What a supportive husband.

I'd never do for work what I do for pleasure. Period. Not that I haven't had jobs I've loved, but I'd never mess with my quilt passion, that is just for me.
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
    Power Poster

The strore that sold only fabric ( mostly Moda) and patterns was - literally - in the middle of a pasture and seemed to be doing well. It was also fairly close to afairly big town. I was surprised by the complete lack of battings, and threads. I only noticed a couple of rulers and that was about it for notions.

The suggestion to work in a shop for six months is an excellent one.
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:26 AM
    cjr

most small businesses fail due to lack of funding. you have to allow for employees so you can take a break and their benefits whichis a hidden expense.
    The more classes you offer the more people that will come into your sghop.
    My favorite LQS has a small refriderator stocked with pop and bottled water, a cup on door for honor system, on outside is price for beverage. Nice convience.
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:27 AM

What a supportive husband.

I'd never do for work what I do for pleasure. Period. Not that I haven't had jobs I've loved, but I'd never mess with my quilt passion, that is just for me.

That said being an owner is a 24/7 job. I had a beauty salon for 20 years so I know, it just never goes away even when things are going great