Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for those of you that FMQ >
  • Question for those of you that FMQ

• Question for those of you that FMQ

Old 02-22-2014, 03:31 PM

I decided to practice on a potholder and started doing the stitch in the ditch using my darning foot...never using a darning foot again to do SID it was horrible...then I tried some feather...Yikes..don't do that with 3 layers of batting...insulight, W&N and and then the layer of wool batting...too thick it was hard to do. good thing it as a small potholder. I think the wool batting is going to make a huge difference though once I get the hang of it.
    Old 02-22-2014, 04:18 PM

I took the Craftsy class with Cindy Needham, and yes, she teaches ESS. But her quilting is also very dense. I SID for sashings and major components and go on to do the fun stuff.
    Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Thank-you! I did one last week and did the stitch in the ditch with just the batting and top. I did not want all those stitches to show on the back since I used Muslim. then when done put on the backing and did the FMQ'ing. It was a long all day process. It was a chevron quilt and I did every seam...every triangle.
    That is a great idea....I'm going to try it
    Old 02-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I was taught in the 80s BEFORE there were spray adhesive or fusible batting to do your ditch stitching first to prevent any shifting. I still do it by habit and I have never felt comfortable using spray adhesive. In the ditch doesn't mean every seam. If you look at my Avatar, I did diagonal stitching thru the 1.5" squares. I didn't ditch stitch anywhere on the quilt except for the border. I was careful to start in the middle and work my way out to each of the four corners. If you feel confident in doing it another way from the way they taught you, go ahead and try it out. If it works, then that is the only thing that really matters. Good Luck !!
    I still do mine that same way, too. I pin baste as I'm not comfortable with chemical sprays and after I stitch in the ditch, I remove all the pins and FMQ.
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 PM
    Power Poster

Cindy Needham says to stitch every stinkin' seam in the ditch. I believe she uses a 60 weight in the bobbin and possibly monofilament in the top. It looks nice what she does.

That said, I don't do any SID for overall patterns but for any custom work, I do SID on the outlines first.
    Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM

I FMQ so I don't have to stitch in the ditch. Using the Elmers glue method, I dont' have wrinkles.
    Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 PM

If I am going to FMQ a large piece that I expect to take me more than a day or so, I generally ditch baste ( just like stitch in the ditch only I use a very contrasting thread usually a neon green LOL and a long stitch length) around borders and then use the quilt pattern as my guide for a large scale grid. I use 505 or Elmers to baste as well, but I find that on a large project, I like the added security of the basting stitches to keep things straight. Using a bright contrasting thread and a long stitch length makes it very easy to pull out when done !
    Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 AM

I decided to practice on a potholder and started doing the stitch in the ditch using my darning foot...never using a darning foot again to do SID it was horrible...then I tried some feather...Yikes..don't do that with 3 layers of batting...insulight, W&N and and then the layer of wool batting...too thick it was hard to do. good thing it as a small potholder. I think the wool batting is going to make a huge difference though once I get the hang of it.
    I would have done the ditch hopping with a walking foot and feed dogs up. I too find the darning foot too difficult to control straight. When free motioning I like to use a darning foot embroidery foot with an open front so I can see where I am going . I do drop feed dogs but sometimes forget.
    Enjoy.
    Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 AM

Thank you for asking. Very informative answers. I am new to FMQ and ready to learn more!
    Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 AM

in the lessons I have taken they say to do every seam...even if its a logcabin 1 inch strips...then when done do the FMQ'ing
    The last quilt instruction I watched on quilting was from Kim Brunner.She stated to do SID around the quilt block to keep the block straight and square; not every straight line in the body.I have tried this and it makes my sashing lines stay true and the whole quilt stays square.Worked for me