Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Questions for Pfaff Owners >
  • Questions for Pfaff Owners

• Questions for Pfaff Owners

Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Small starter piece solves many problems :-D
    Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 AM

I have the Pfaff1470 from early 90s. Mine does that unless I start a scrap piece to grab the threads or hold the thread behind the needle with some tension on them.
    Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Have you tried using a straight hole thoat plate? Worked for me.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:10 AM

I have had Pfaffs for over 30 years. When you start sewing use a piece of scrap fabric. Start sewing on that then butt up your piecing to it. Never just start sewing on your pieces. You will have them go down into the feed dogs every time. I learned this technique in my first quilting class. You will be amazed how it solves your problem immediately.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 AM

I bought my PFAFF in 1957, and never had a problem. But I`m sure glad I found out what a IDT is.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 AM

I agree with all of the comments and always have the IDT engauged. That is one of the best features.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 AM

I just bought a single hole plate, which is supposed to help/solve this (irritating) problem. I had been using a starter scrap, as others have mentioned. Will let you know if the single hole plate helps or not.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 AM

I have a Pfaff 2130 and I LOVE it. I had that "fabric eating" problem also. Solved it by getting a single hole plate. Also, you still need to use your wider slotted plate when you use other stitches. Solve the "eating" problem by using a little starter piece or patches. Check into Quiltville on the internet. She explains using Leaders and Enders to solve this problem. Hope this helps you.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 AM

This problem isn't just with Pfaffs. The very tip of your material is being pulled down into the wide hole in your plate with the first -or second- downward movement of your needle. If you don't plan on needing your zigzag feature on a project, replace the plate with one that has only a tiny hole in it, that should take care of the problem. But be SURE you don't move the needle position from dead-center, or use your zigzag as the needle will immediately break and you might do other damage to your Pfaff!!
    The easiest way is to use a starter piece of fabric called a "Bunny." And better yet, keep a stack of HST's next to your machine and use them as leaders and enders. Before you know it, you'll have finished the blocks for a whole 'nuther quilt without even knowing it!
    Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I have a Pfaff Creative 7550 that I purchased in the late 90's. I seem to have alot of problem with it pulling fabric down into the feed dogs as I start while piecing or joining blocks. This is not a new problem as my machine has always tended to do this and when I only worked on 1 or 2 projects a year I just dealt with it but now that I am trying to complete more projects it has become very bothersome. Now here are my questions;
    1. Have others with this machine or similiar experienced this? (or does my machine need to go the the Pfaff doctor?)
    2. I know there is a single hole plate available, has anyone purchased it and did it solve the problem? (I don't mind spending the money to solve the problem but if nothing changes I would rather buy fabric.)
    3. While piecing do Pfaff owners have the IDT engaged or disengaged?
    Sorry that this is so long, but I really like my machine and if I could get a solution for this little issue I like we can be happy together for years to come.
    I am a new owner of an "experienced" Creative Pfaff. Oddly enough, the Pfaff never pulls the thread from the spool down into the hook assembly like my big 'ol Bernina but it did push the fabric into the hole. Guess it must be two different things going on. Anyway, I bought the single hole foot plate and that seems to have fixed things. I keep the IDT engaged for piecing. One of the things I like best about my Pfaff it that when I sew strips together I don't get that little curvey thing going on.