Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • questions >
  • questions

• questions

Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Biz powdered laudry detergent might work on those stains. In quilt magazines, it has been touted as a magical cure-all for lots of things. I couldn't find it here in the Atlanta area, so my SIL sent me a box from Seattle. You can make a paste of some to sit on the stains for a bit, then wash in the washer on the most gentle cycle.
    Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    but whole cloth can be anything from pot holder size to king size.
    Yes. A quilt has 3 layers, fabric, batting (may be a layer of muslin if a doll quilt), and fabric.
    A miniature or doll quilt or potholder or caldlemat or even a coaster qualifies.
    Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 AM

Your quilt is lovely. Quilting is a very old art. Knights in armour wore a quilted vest or jacket under all of that metal. Quilted fabric has been used in clothing and household items for many, many years. A woman in a cold climate might have had a quilted petticoat under her long gown.
    The art of "patchwork" started or was at least promoted by the frugal women who set up housekeeping in the "New World". Fabric was expensive and every little piece was put to good use. Leave it to a woman to make something beautiful out of scraps from the clothing she had to make for her family. The Maryland Historical Society had an exhibit of Baltimore Ablum quilts several years ago. Their research discovered that the wonderful applique quilts that started in the Baltimore area were mostly done from an early version of a kit made and sold by a few woman in what was one of the few first "quilt" businesses around. Even in the 1830s and 40s woman were making their quilting pay.
    Your family was passing down a wonderful heritage. As a long time handquilter I have made dozens of cheater's cloth and or whole cloth items. In the long run it is not a quilt until it is quilted either by hand or machine.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:33 AM

Wonderful to read all the history in this thread!

Wholecloth quilts are great for showcasing your stitching - which is why I have not attempted one :roll: :lol: I need to get past my fear, and do it.
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:44 AM

May I show you that...the ruler is metric.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-74157.jpe  
    Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 AM
    Google Goddess

interesting thread
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 AM

borntohandlequilts, my kind of ruler. Your quilting is very fine. I am always goofing up using the English measurements on my quilting and miss metric units. I'm from the US but use metric for everything important. When I started piecing a few weeks ago, I found out how much I kept messing up becuase everything was based on 1/8 inch. My mind was in automatic decimals. I'm slowly learning. I really wish the quilting patterns and rulers I have use metric.
    Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM

I once saw a quilt on a bed in Country Living that was wide (perhaps 18") strips of fabric of various colors sewn together to form the quilt. Each width of fabric was handquilted using a different motif. I always thought that was a beautiful quilt because it showed off the quilting exquisitely. Someday I hope to make one.
    Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM

I also love strippy quilts and I have done 2 until today. It's big fun to quilt them because you don't have to care about turning your border quilting patterns around corners! :-)
    Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM

I had the same sort of problem on a cotton christening dress I had loaned out to a friend. Thought she had washed it before she gave it back; discovered she hadn't after it had been stored for about 5 years. I soaked the dress in cool water with some non-chlorine Clorox bleach. It came out spotless. I have also had good success with making a paste of Oxiclean powder and water, then letting the paste sit on the discolored spots for a while, then washing. Good luck.