Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Questions for those who use Longarm for business >
  • Questions for those who use Longarm for business

• Questions for those who use Longarm for business

Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Another thing to find out is how many longarmers are in your area. I have a ton around me kind of a glut so its really spread out. And yes you can get some really interesting quilts that the owners believe you should do a miracle with them and want to fault you for the problems that came to you with the quilt. I had one that had very apparent stitches around the applique. She wanted echo quilting to emphasize applique. When she got it back she was very upset because the apparent applique stitches had not disappeared. I had not quilted on the applique staying about 1/4 away as she requested. sigh
    Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Definitely check out how many LA quilters are in your area. We have a lot. Besides a lot more people are fmq or getting mid arms. I am computerized with IQ and well trained with private lessons with Suzanne Moreno but have not had enough business to pay for equipment and training. Truthfully, I do it because I love it and I just keep trying to get our name and a reputation for quality work out there. It can take time to get established and most of the LA quilters in our area have been doing it for a long time and do beautiful work. Also your location is important. We live in the country about 40 min from nearest large town and even offering free pick up and delivery is not improving matters
    Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM
    Power Poster

Other questions -

Do customers pay a deposit when you accept the quilt?

How do you deal with "challenges" in the top that would make quilting it "interesting" -

If the customer doesn't pay, what do you do?
    Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 AM

1. Yes I still enjoy quilting. I love getting all the beautiful quilts and seeing what others have done.
    2. I do this part time right now. I work full time as a teacher. The money I make is paying for my LA.
    3. It was a slow build up for me. Which for me was good because I was just starting to do LA. I only take in what I can do because I work full time.
    4. I don't feel pressure. I usually set up my week of quilting with a schedule for the week. I always tell people a will be done later rather then sooner and then they are happy when I get it to them sooner.
    5. I haven't had a problem. The first year was a learning experience. Now I know what to keep track of.
    6. I put it all in a binder/folder.
    7. I am still paying off the LA I bought, but I have been buying other things as I go. So I guess you could say I'm not even yet, but I wouldn't have been able to buy my embroidery machine.

I have had people have me machine quilt their quilt and say do what you want and then you give them the quilt and they don't like it. I lost that customer. But it taught me a lesson ... so I won't except a quilt if they say do what you want. I have a quilter who for whatever reason always gives me a quilt that the back never has enough material. I always return it and have her add more material. I will never take more work then I can handle on the LA. There are always other LA quilters in my area so I am not worried. There are key times in the year that people think you can whip up a quilt in no time ... Christmas, Mothers Day, Graduation etc. Remember you are always in charge and you can always say no! Hope this helps!
    Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Beth-->I'm not going to answer each question specifically, because some of these things vary depending on where you are. I have been longarming for around 10 years. I have 2 longarm machines. The keys to a successful longarm business are the same as any other home-based business. MOTIVATION--DETERMINATION--ORGANIZATION It won't matter if there are a hundred other longarmers out there once you establish your business. If you are doing a great job for a fair price, your customers will be loyal. There will always be someone out there who can find it done more cheaply. Let the other longarmers have them. I'm not being rude, but I appreciate the customers who care more about the quality of work I do vs. my price. I do each quilt as though it was my own. When business is slow, I make sure I still keep those machines going. When they are sitting idle, I am not making money. There are so many other things you can do besides quilting customer quilts with your longarm. I determine my schedule. So, if I feel overwhelmed, I slow down on how many I take or schedule some time off into the mix. Granted, I had a brick and mortar shop until about 2 years ago, but I still longarm. I do use a computer program. The accounting isn't bad as long as you stay on it and don't put it off.
    Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Wow, thanks everyone. You have all had great answers. I like Bearisgray's 2 questions:
    How to make the challenges in the top interesting - and
    What do you do if the customer doesn't pay?

Any answers to those also?
    Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM

About customer not paying-->my customers ask if I want them to pay when they drop off. I simply say, "No, I have your quilt to hold hostage" and we chuckle. If you aren't comfortable with that, charge 1/2 down as a deposit. I have only had one person who hasn't shown up within a week to get her quilt. It took her TWO months, and then I felt like I was making her come to get her quilt. (A little background here--she said she needed before Christmas. I moved heaven and earth to make that happen for her. She picked up in Feb or March. I was less than happy.) Now, there is a disclaimer on my longarm brochure that says something to the effect: Unless other arrangements are made, quilts not picked up within 30 days may be sold for the amount of the longarm bill. I know it sounds harsh and I would NEVER do it, but it is an option for those who refuse to come get their quilt.
    Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Other questions -

Do customers pay a deposit when you accept the quilt?

How do you deal with "challenges" in the top that would make quilting it "interesting" -

If the customer doesn't pay, what do you do?
    I still learn something from every quilt. I used to belong to a longarm guild where we would share ideas to overcome the challenges. Sometimes I felt like the longarmers were just using it as a session to see who could bring in the worse quilt, so I quit going. I am not paid to judge a quilt. I am paid to quilt your quilt, no matter the skill level. I do my best with each one and consider each quilter's circumstances. I had an older lady bring me a quilt once with a moving blanket she got at the thrift store for batting. I told her I wasn't comfortable with it. She was on a limited income, and that was what she could afford. She told me to do my best.....and it turned out fine. You will be your worse critic. Don't accept customer quilts until you know you can do a good job....and then do a good job. Have some of your own quilted items to show potential customers the quality of your work and let them decide. Don't be offended if they walk away. If someone you start working with seems like a perfectionist and your work isn't perfect yet, it is more than OK to say you aren't there yet and perhaps they can try you when you have a little more experience. That will go a long way--much further--than if you do your best work and find out you weren't ready....
    Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Just me-
    Good advice and good examples. Thank you.