Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quick advice: Singer 15-91 or the 301, which one? >
  • Quick advice: Singer 15-91 or the 301, which one?

• Quick advice: Singer 15-91 or the 301, which one?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 AM

I need some quick advice as to which one to purchase. I'm looking for a great old workhorse that can sew through jean seams, through several layers of tough material as well. A reliable and easy machine to maintain.

Both of these models seem to fit the bill, but which one is better?

What's a fair price for either machine?

Thanks again,
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna

PS I need to be quick as several auctions on ebay are ending soon....thanks!
    Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 AM

I would say the 301
    Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 AM

301 if you want quilting.

401 if you want to sew through jeans.
    Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 AM

If it is not too late both machines are workhorses however I would get a 15-91.
    Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 AM

Get all three....!
    Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

I have a 15-125, and it is a real workhorse!!
    It is basically the same as a 15-91~
    Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

For what you want I would say the Singer 15-91. Sews super fast too. It is consider the no. 1 vintage singer for doing actually quilting. I just got mine set up for that.

The singer 301 is lighter and would be nice as a full size portable machine. It is considered the big sister of the feather Weight eventhough it looks none like it. there is a cute little handle on top to cary it. Still not a super light machine though. also it is does not sew through as much as the 15-91. I like this machine for paper piecing but not for quilting.

Singer 301 Note the cute cary handle. It comes in tan, black or two tone white and tan.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]207426[/ATTACH]

Singer 15-91 Classic black singer
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]207427[/ATTACH]

singer 15-91 close up. Besure to get one with a reverse lever. the little handle on the right front of the machine.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]207429[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-207420.jpe   attachment-207421.jpe   attachment-207423.jpe  
    Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    For what you want I would say the Singer 15-91. Sews super fast too. It is consider the no. 1 vintage singer for doing actually quilting. I just got mine set up for that.

The singer 301 is lighter and would be nice as a full size portable machine. It is considered the big sister of the feather Weight eventhough it looks none like it. there is a cute little handle on top to cary it. Still not a super light machine though. also it is does not sew through as much as the 15-91. I like this machine for paper piecing but not for quilting.
    I like your 301 short bed in the cabinet.

I have the 301A Long bed, same color too (mocha chocolata yah yah ) no cabinet, thinking of customizing a cabinet for it.
    Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

I know the black Singer 301 is the most sought after but I am partial to this mocha one. I have a two tone also, white/tan but this one steals my heart. They are wonderful for piecing. I like to paper piece on it as does DH. A long bed is great! Besure to post a picture if you make a custom cabinet. Could you adjust an excisting cabinet? Long beds are sought after as much as the black ones. Neat you have one. Do you sew on it alot?

Originally Posted by cctx.

I have the 301A Long bed, same color too (mocha chocolata yah yah ) no cabinet, thinking of customizing a cabinet for it.
    Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM

I know the black Singer 301 is the most sought after but I am partial to this mocha one. I have a two tone also, white/tan but this one steals my heart. They are wonderful for piecing. I like to paper piece on it as does DH. A long bed is great! Besure to post a picture if you make a custom cabinet. Could you adjust an excisting cabinet? Long beds are sought after as much as the black ones. Neat you have one. Do you sew on it alot?

Originally Posted by cctx.

Not much for sewing on the 301A, mainly for FMQ.
    I have a desk here that I'm seriously thinking of converting it to fit the machine on there and I want the foot pedal to be on the side like the 401A in the cabinet because you have more control with the speed and sewing using your knee/leg. With the pedal on the floor, it skids, or slides, or the cat wants to join along, so the knee lever is much better in my opinion.
    That is going to be my next project, but I need time to figure it out on customizing this old desk.
    Will keep you posted.