Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quick applique questions >
  • quick applique questions

• quick applique questions

Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 AM

I know applique has been addressed before, but I have some quick questions. (Mainly because it's easier to ask here than to look it up myself).

1) When you do the applique- do you use regular thread? Do you 2 threads or one?

2) Is the objective to not see the stitches?

3) If I applique by hand some blocks, but other blocks are going to be a different pattern, is it OK to machine quilt those?

I cut out some blocks to applique hearts on them and thought I'd take them to the car show tomorrow and applique by hand instead of machine. I also have some Sunbonnet Sue, but thought I'd machine applique them to make it go faster.

Thanks for your help!!!

Barb
    Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
    Banned

Barb, check out the links and resources, I put a post in the for a website that's all about applique. Very informative. I'm an applique baby, it helped me a lot.
    Old 10-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Applique is one of the most forgiving and individual means of quilting. You can use as many threads as you like, turn edges in or not. The method you use depends on the look you are after. Feel free to mix and match - it is your creation!

The search function will pull up a lot of threads, too.
    Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Barbm
    I know applique has been addressed before, but I have some quick questions. (Mainly because it's easier to ask here than to look it up myself).

1) When you do the applique- do you use regular thread? Do you 2 threads or one?

2) Is the objective to not see the stitches?

3) If I applique by hand some blocks, but other blocks are going to be a different pattern, is it OK to machine quilt those?

I cut out some blocks to applique hearts on them and thought I'd take them to the car show tomorrow and applique by hand instead of machine. I also have some Sunbonnet Sue, but thought I'd machine applique them to make it go faster.

Thanks for your help!!!

Barb
    The thread I use for hand applique is 60 wt machine embroidery thread, cotton. I like Metlers. 50wt will show.

Use the same color as the piece you are sewing down, not the background.
    Use a blind stitch, the idea is to not see the stitches. Take small stitches so there are no 'gaps' or puckers after you are done.

I see nothing wrong with mixing machine and hand in the same quilt
    and machine quilting on hand applique.

Hope this helps
    Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM

I use silk thread to applique, matching the appliqued piece - not the background.

I think you can mix and match hand applique and machine applique, if you want to.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM

i have never done hand applique, only raw edge machine, and dresden plate table runner with fusible applique that has the finished edge. I have used clear thread when the fabrics were multi-colord and also thread tht matches the fabric (not the background fabric). I have used a larger blanket stitch and i have used an almost invisible small blanket stitch. You can use contrasting thread if you want that look. You really can do anything you want with applique - if you want a certain look, then change your thread color, and the size of the stitches!
    Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 AM

I love applique! The easiest for me...and, take it that I know 'nothing' on any sewing anythings...:))I tried all different ways to applique and it is a wonder I stillhave my fingertips...even from the iron!! I found for me the best way is to iron the shiny side of freezer paper on the fabric's backside...(w/pattern drawn on the paper already) cut out my subject adding a 1/4"...then use Elmer's washable glue...and, glue all the edges down all the way around . All my points are perfect every time!! I love it and it washes right out. When I am almost done putting the appliq. on, I reach in and pull out the paper..comes right out too. When doing by hand, I pin in place then whip from underneath as not to show. I personally love to use my blind hem stitch on the machine. I found this idea on a free video at: www.allpeoplequilt.com what a huge blessing for me and now I love applique!! Skeat