Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quick quilt pattern?? >
  • Quick quilt pattern??

• Quick quilt pattern??

Old 11-24-2010, 05:37 AM

10 minute blocks are easy and very dramatic. here is the tut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM&NR=1

I used 9" squares and it made for a huge block, will go 6" next time I do this pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-133242.jpe  
    Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 AM

She sounds a lot like me when I was younger. I had hated quilts because all the ones I saw were old fashioned and country and whatnot.

I would stick with something modern looking. Maybe send her the link to fabric.com or some place and tell her to pick out a few different types of material that she would like so that you can get an idea of what kind of prints she likes and take it from there... make sure she knows you might not get that exact one that it's more for you to get a feel for her style.

Then maybe make a snowball quilt or something else that will showcase the material and go for it.
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    She sounds a lot like me when I was younger. I had hated quilts because all the ones I saw were old fashioned and country and whatnot.

I would stick with something modern looking. Maybe send her the link to fabric.com or some place and tell her to pick out a few different types of material that she would like so that you can get an idea of what kind of prints she likes and take it from there... make sure she knows you might not get that exact one that it's more for you to get a feel for her style.

Then maybe make a snowball quilt or something else that will showcase the material and go for it.
    Ok what is a snowball quilt?? One of her cats names is Snoball!! The reason I decided that this is the year of the quilts (between now and xmas next year) is that this woman loves shoes! And I saw this really awesome shoe fabric. I was thinking of making her something for her birthday but when I got her name for xmas I feel as tho it was fate decided for me!!? Am I crazy or does this make sense to someone else??
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 AM

http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2009/08...all-block.html

It is a quick block and it really showcases the material :)
    I am going to do it for my oldest son's quilt... but in outer space material :)
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
    10 minute blocks are easy and very dramatic. here is the tut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM&NR=1

I used 9" squares and it made for a huge block, will go 6" next time I do this pattern.
    That one is on my to do list as well.
    Yours looks wonderful!!
    Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM

Before you make any type of quilt- ASK her what she wants.

I agree with the others who said- don't invest so much of yourself only to have BOTH of you be so disappointed.

Susan
    NJ
    Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM
    Banned

what does "not patchwork" mean. The only others left are applique and wholecloth. There may be others but can't think of them now.
    Better to get specifics on what she means.
    Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 AM

My thought would be to give her a gift certificate for a quilt shop trip. She can visually see finished quilts & look at books & fabrics. Hopefully something will say "this is it".

Meanwhile - make her a tablerunner, coasters or potholders with the shoe fabric & attach the gift cert. so she'll have a concrete gift for Christmas.

When is her b-day - maybe you can set that as a finish date.
    Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM

Ok. I talked to my mother in law and I asked her about it.(my SIL lives with in laws) so she would know! She said that she means scrappy! That's so cool!! I don't much care for scrappy myself, maybe it's because I don't have much for a stash! So now my windows are re open!! Yeah!! I am thinking strips or those 10 inch square things (can't think of what they are called right now) I saw some cool patterns using those! Thank you all so much for the help!!! I just love this board, everyone is so nice and so helpful!!!
    Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
    Ok. I talked to my mother in law and I asked her about it.(my SIL lives with in laws) so she would know! She said that she means scrappy! That's so cool!! I don't much care for scrappy myself, maybe it's because I don't have much for a stash! So now my windows are re open!! Yeah!! I am thinking strips or those 10 inch square things (can't think of what they are called right now) I saw some cool patterns using those! Thank you all so much for the help!!! I just love this board, everyone is so nice and so helpful!!!
    Moda bake shop has some cute layer cake (is that what you're referring to?) quilt patterns for free!