Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt appraisals >
  • Quilt appraisals

• Quilt appraisals

Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I've had quilts appraised as well, and it was definitely worth the price (more than your $50). I would have the wedding quilt appraised, yes, and would give them the original appraisal paperwork and a photo right along with the quilt. The point is not to 'brag' about what it's worth, the point is to recoup the true value in case of loss. That's what the appraiser meant when she said it let the owner's know just how much the quilt is worth.

It's their decision whether to insure it or not, but at least you'd be giving them that option and bringing it to their attention. Otherwise, they probably would never even think about having it insured. It's nothing like giving them a receipt for the gift, btw.
    I love the idea of an appraisal but would suggest, along with a pix, I'd put the paperwork in an envelope & give it to them after the wedding. That way there wouldn't be a competition with other gifts regarding "mine is better than yours". I see it as a very thoughtful part of their gift. They would be very thankful in the future should they experience a disaster of some kind. Just my opinion as I read others great opinions.

Pat
    Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 AM

That's a tricky one. Yes, it would be nice if they understood how much a quilt is worth. You have to ask yourself, do you want them to use it or put it up? They might be scared to use it. But at least it wouldn't end up as a car quilt or used on a dog bed. I wouldn't put it in with the gift. But at a later time, casually mention that it appraised for $$. Long after the wedding. I was faced with the idea of a wedding quilt, a hint from a friend of mine for her son and bride. I quickly decided no, I don't know the couple well enough. But, if it had been a niece's wedding I wouldn't hesitate.
    Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 AM

I think the appraisal is a great idea and excellent information for anyone and their insurance policies. But.....including it with the wedding gift may be a bit tacky. I would sit down with the couple after things have calmed down and give them the paperwork along with the whys, hows, and whens in dealing with their quilt. You can then explain how to care for the quilt too. Way too many people have no clue about handmade quilts...it is up to us to inform them.
    Old 02-18-2015, 06:09 AM

I am curious, for those of you that have had your newly made quilts appraised, what kind of value were you told? I wonder how they determine value?
    Old 02-24-2015, 02:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by alikigirl
    I am curious, for those of you that have had your newly made quilts appraised, what kind of value were you told? I wonder how they determine value?
    Not sure what you mean by ( what kind of value?)
    When I take quilts to the appraiser she takes pictures, front, back, detail. Does measurements. Checks the binding. Looks at workmanship - are the seams straight? The quilting balanced and appropriate... ( a lot of the same things judges look at when judging. ) she also notes the fabrics used, the batting ( asks what was used) and backing fabric. Talks to me about where the patterns came from-- is it a commercial pattern or an original design? Lots of questions. When she has all of her information, questions answered, pictures taken, my participation is done. About 2 weeks later I receive the certified appraisal in the mail. It is a multiple page booklet with a cover letter stating the insurance value ( what it would cost to have the quilt recreated) , pictures, her summary, information about her & her certification seal. The first quilt I had appraised was my ( Backyard Gathering- wool applique quilt) which had an appraised value of $3,700.
    Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 AM

The appraiser said that she won't appraise a quilt that's worth less than $200. She is able to judge that by looking at it.
    Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

One guild member had a quilt appraised that was a wedding present for a cousin's son, that she only met a couple of times. She was very upset when she found out the son was trying to sell the quilt for the amount quoted. I'm sure many would do the same if an appraisal came with the gift. LOL
    Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    One guild member had a quilt appraised that was a wedding present for a cousin's son, that she only met a couple of times. She was very upset when she found out the son was trying to sell the quilt for the amount quoted. I'm sure many would do the same if an appraisal came with the gift. LOL
    That's really funny. I'm sure that the son was also upset when he found he couldn't sell it for the appraised amount. It's purely for insurance purposes. Serves him right!
    Old 02-24-2015, 03:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by carol45
    That's really funny. I'm sure that the son was also upset when he found he couldn't sell it for the appraised amount. It's purely for insurance purposes. Serves him right!
    Once a quilt is {Gifted} it is no longer your concern- no reason to be upset by someone selling it- would she be happier if he sent it to goodwill? Once you give a quilt its best to not concern yourself with it, its no longer yours. I've had a few appraised, gifted quilts sold, I only know that because I was told, ( hope you don't mind, I sold that quilt, it was lovely but really not my thing, or, I really liked it but really needed the money & so & so said if I ever wanted to get rid of it....) That's OK, doesn't matter to me - I'd rather they got something out of it instead of tossing it in the woodshed or dog house. ( although both of those things have happened to quilts I've gifted too.) I include the appraisals with the quilts so they can be covered by their insurance and maybe they will take good care of it knowing its value, or get something out of it if they so choose.
    It doesn't make sense and get upset over things like that.
    Old 02-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    would you include a store receipt with Any other gift, to anyone, for anything?
    My thought, exactly!