Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Backing >
  • Quilt Backing

• Quilt Backing

Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 AM

If I have to piece it I try to make it 3 pieces with the largest in the center of the quilt. Definitely personal choice. A wonderful woman who I took a class from showed me a quilt on her bed and she put large squares on the back so she could reverse it and she said in 20 years she has never showed the other side. But it is a good way to use up fabric.
    Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 AM

The quilt does not care which way the backing seam goes. I put my seam sideways/horizontal. It seams to take less fabric that way. Most of my quilts are about 65 x80 so I can get away with 4 yds of 45" putting the seam sideways instead of 5.5 yrs putting the seam up and down.
    Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
    Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts
    Hi, I was wondering about the seam in the backing material. Do you center the seam on the back of the quilt or not?
    I don't center a seam on the back regardless if pieced length or width-wise. I've always heard that you don't want seams where a quilt will be folded as frequent folding tends to weaken the threads in a seam. It is easy enough to avoid by dividing into three sections, so I've done that when piecing. Or, to avoid the problem, I have used wide backing. Here's a really good article on backings that I've had bookmarked for a long time. You might find it useful..... http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    Thanks for the link! I have the hardest time with backing. I won't even buy material for backing that is in anyway directional...I really am challenged! :oops:
    Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM

I used to piece my backings but now I only buy backings that at 108 or larger. I don't like seams. I am always looking for sales on backings. They have improved so much.
    And, yes, the colors are much nicer than what they used to be. I don't use broadcloth.
    Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by hockeymom
    I usually buy flat sheet from walmart and use it for my backing.
    Do you find a lot of 100% cotton sheets. I have looked for pillow cases to store quilts in and most all have polyester in them now unless you get the really expensive ones. Decided to make my own bags from muslim.
    Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Hello. If you run the seam from the side across it will take less material.
    Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM

I've been taught (right or wrong) to avoid putting the seams at the common fold. I'm told it weakens the seam to be folded and unfolded, and that does make sense to me. It would depend on how the quilt might be used that would determine how I did the back. If you know it's not going to be folded/unfolded a lot, seam placement wouldn't be as much of an issue as with one that would be in and out of use.