Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt backings >
  • quilt backings

• quilt backings

Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

I wait til my fabric store is running the wide backing fabric on sale 40% or50% off and then I stock up. That way even at $10.00 a yard ( regular 18.99 a yard ) it's still a buy. At 108" wide one yard equals 2.5 yards of 44" quilting fabric. You would have to buy your 44" wide fabric at $4.00 a yard to equal the price.
    Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Originally Posted by dunster
    I try to use up all the extra fabric (and extra blocks) that I didn't use on the front.
    i've never tried that, but cheapie me likes that idea.
    I've done this a couple of times. Once with just 10" blocks of colors that matched the front, the other with larger pieces. Here's a link to what I did. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/21630.page I really like how the back of that one came out. I was disappointed that I couldn't make room on the front for the seahorses, but used it all on the back. :) I've seen others that had panels of fabric and some extra blocks filling in the extra needed space. Looks nice that way too.

When you do check out the sites, watch for free shipping. Some do if your order is over a certain dollar amount. If you could get enough for a few quilts, it's probably worth a shot.

It seems like many of the fabrics I'm using are not even close to 44-45 wide. More like 41-42. So if you cut off the selveges, you'd still need 3 panels for a bed sized quilt. I forget the name of the site, but there's one that sells "fat backs" which are 3-1/4 (or 3-1/2 I forget which) yds by 108"wide. Pre-packaged cuts. I think they started around $40. Anyway, that must be a common amount for them to be marketed this way.
    Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
    Power Poster

I use this method. It works the best for me.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM

My self I buy flat sheets like for your beds to make my backs for my quilts and they work perfect for me..
    Pickles
    Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use this method. It works the best for me.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    that looks terrific. won't make it on a 95 - 98"-er though. but i bookmarked it for the future. thanks for that one.
    Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by katier825

around $40.

EEEEEK!

there just has to be a better way. the leftover way is looking better and better. i've been spending a small fortune until now, and i want to change that.
    Old 08-10-2009, 06:54 PM

I am with Pickles some of the time. However, last month, our LQS ran a 20% off sale for backing fabric if you brought in your finished quilt top. It was great motivation for me to finish a UFO. She also had some fabric for $5 a yard and then the discount made it really cheap. And it was good quality. I know of another LQS up north that has backing fabric 25% off on the 15th of every month. I suggested that to my LQS. Maybe you could do the same with yours.

judee
    Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 PM

ho ho ho! my LQS is joann's. do they give things away? i don't think so. they won't even let me use the bathroom.
    Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Originally Posted by katier825

around $40.

EEEEEK!

there just has to be a better way. the leftover way is looking better and better. i've been spending a small fortune until now, and i want to change that.
    I've seen some very creative ways the leftovers are used on the back. If you go on Quiltville's site and look at some of her quilts, she sometimes has links to pictures of the backs.

Have you ever tried to make a reversable quilt? That's another alternative where you could use up your scraps. My issue would be the quilting part. I gues an allover stipple or meandering pattern would do for that though.
    Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I would be interested to know what folks are looking for, in terms of backing. We have not gotten into carrying backings... I guess I'm afraid of what on earth we will do with the rems - everybody will be buying 2.5 - 3 yards and then what do we do with the rest?

We do have a supplier who has a wide range of 108" blenders (all-over mottled shades) that are very reasonably price. They're not as wonderful to the touch as Wilmington's GORGEOUS tonal scrolls (which cost a lot more of course).

So... when you all buy backings, do you go for beauty or budget?