Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Binding >
  • Quilt Binding

• Quilt Binding

Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM

I am piecing the binding for my quilt. I am using 3 different fabric patterns and don't know how to sew the different strips together so that the seam is perpendicular to the quilt top when finished, but is actually sewn together at a 45 degree angle. I think that is how I was told to sew the pieces together but it seems (bad pun) to me impossible to do.
    Can anyone tell me how they sew the seams together when they piece strips together for the binding?
    Thanks.
    Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM
    Power Poster

WHen my quilt makes it to only need binding, I tend to finish. My issue is with the FMQ.
    Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 PM

I love doing binding, but with increased bursitis, I'm about to embark on machine binding quilts. I plan to experiment first on say placemats before doing a quilt. They do an excellent job of machine binding at my LQS, and I hope to get some instruction on that.
    Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
    I love doing binding, but with increased bursitis, I'm about to embark on machine binding quilts. I plan to experiment first on say placemats before doing a quilt. They do an excellent job of machine binding at my LQS, and I hope to get some instruction on that.
    I sew the binding strip to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over to the front and stitch it down with either a straight stitch or a decorative stitch.
    Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 AM

Binding is the best part I love it:)

Originally Posted by babyquiltlady
    What quilt binding issues do you have that are keeping UFOs in your closet?
    Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 AM

I just tried the "200 inch from 1/2 yard" binding I found here on the board. It was fairly easy as I sat on the floor with my laptop and kept reviewing anything I was confused about. One seam..... perfect match!
    Old 10-31-2011, 04:38 AM

I lay the end of one piece right side up with the end of it pointing up. Lay the second piece on top of that with right side down and pointing to the side. They should form a "+." Using a straight edge, draw a line from the top left corner where they intersect to the bottom right corner, pin the pieces together and sew on this line. Trim the seam, open, and press. If this doesn't make any since let me know and I'll try to post some pictures for you.
    Originally Posted by wfeld1st
    I am piecing the binding for my quilt. I am using 3 different fabric patterns and don't know how to sew the different strips together so that the seam is perpendicular to the quilt top when finished, but is actually sewn together at a 45 degree angle. I think that is how I was told to sew the pieces together but it seems (bad pun) to me impossible to do.
    Can anyone tell me how they sew the seams together when they piece strips together for the binding?
    Thanks.
    Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM

Thank-you for your response. I think I understand what you wrote (it was very clear) but the seam on the right side is at a 45 degree angle. I'm sewing together 2 different fabrics. How do I do that and still have it look god on the right side of the quilt? I was hoping for a seam that ran perpendicular to the front.
    Thanks.
    Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 AM

Then I would just make a straight seam at the end of your pieces with the right sides together. It will make a bit more bulk when sewing over the seam, but shouldn't be a big problem. Might help if you press the seams open.
    Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 AM

Thank-you. I'll try it both ways and see whether it makes a difference. Your directions for sewing it on the bias is the clearest I've seen. I took a class that covered all of that and she managed to make it very confusing and it really isn't.