Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Binding Using Upholstery Rope >
  • Quilt Binding Using Upholstery Rope

• Quilt Binding Using Upholstery Rope

Old 09-23-2024, 06:10 PM

Default Quilt Binding Using Upholstery Rope

Hi--I would like to finish a 110" x 110" quilt with upholstery rope plus a color flange--a finishing method frequently used for finishing pillows, bedspreads, and duvets. I am attaching a few pictures of a duvet cover finished with the rope binding I hope to replicate on my quilt. I have studied this finish, stopping just short of ripping open seams on my duvet cover to try to figure out how to put it all together on a quilt. If you have an opinion or recommendation, I am all ears. TIA and best regards.

Last edited by frannella; 09-23-2024 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Oops--photos didn't upload
    Old 09-23-2024, 06:32 PM
    mkc

It sounds like you want to use welt cord. That's typically attached to one face fabric, then the other with the item inside-out, then the item reversed.

If you wanted to do that on a quilted item, you'd have to trim it to the exact measurements before quilting, attach it as noted, and then "birth" the quilt, then quilt it.

Look at some home dec sites to see how welt cord is applied.

BTW, most decorative upholstery cording is not machine washable. If you make your own welt cord cover with quilting fabric it would be.

Last edited by mkc; 09-23-2024 at 06:36 PM.
    Old 09-24-2024, 02:37 PM

Is welt cord like piping? If so, it is quite easy to make and can be made in pretty much any thickness. I could see it being applied sort of like a faced binding. Sew it on the front and turn the raw edge under on the back and stitch down. I'm probably not explaining this very well but I think it could be done after the quilt is quilted.