Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Borders? 2 Borders >
  • Quilt Borders? 2 Borders

• Quilt Borders? 2 Borders

Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM

Sorry I just got back to this. It's been a crazy day!

I decided to just add the borders separately. I considered the cornerstones, but I don't do real well with figuring those out. I don't have a lot of practice with them and was afraid they wouldn't all be the same size. Why? I don't recall!

Thanks so much for your wisdom!
    Old 10-26-2018, 02:53 AM

Cornerstones would simply need to be the same size as the width of the combined borders. I can see how sewing the borders together first and using the cornerstones would be easier than adding the borders separately. My luck, I'd sew them--at least one of them--on "upside down" though!

Good topic but most of us have the comfort zone of doing things the way we've always done it.
    Old 10-26-2018, 05:38 AM

What a timely topic. I have just committed this sin?? transgression?? mistake! I thought I was so sharp by sewing the little wine framing border to the navy one ahead of time. Now I have a huge mess. The first corner came out ok but I have taken out the others and made it even worse.

I just love this quilt, so colorful. But the borders should go on in order and by themselves. I'm not that skilled that I could put cornerstones in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603084[/ATTACH]The first corner the only good one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603085[/ATTACH]I have this one ripped out and must put an extension on the wine one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603086[/ATTACH]This is the kind of mess I am up against. I don't even know where to start on this one. Yes, there is a third corner and it looks like the second one but it is all pinned together.
    Attached Thumbnails 20181026_073137_resized.jpg   20181026_072920_resized.jpg   20181026_073055_resized.jpg  
    Old 10-26-2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    Another thought if you don’t want to miter: use cornerstones. You could sew the two border strips together and wouldn’t have to worry about the issue mentioned above.
    I have done that. Also used four patch as a cornerstone, matching the opposite fabric against each strip.
    Old 10-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    It is actually better to sew multiple borders together before adding them to a top because you are less likely to get ripples.
    This is great advice. I always sew them together before applying -- also, always miter. But corner blocks (cornerstones?) would work, too.