Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt guild etiquette >
  • quilt guild etiquette

• quilt guild etiquette

Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM

In my guild, we always bring in any new stuff we have personally made...and not just finished quilts, but quilt tops we have finished, fabrics we are thinking of using in a quilt, patterns we would like input on what fabrics would work well with it, quilts we are working on and wanting ideas on how to put the blocks together, or what backing fabric, or binding would look good, also new books we have bought, etc...its more like I am meeting with my sisters where I belong....I love seeing what they are making or newly bought fabrics, patterns, and books...
    Kif
    Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM

We all love show and tell! Go for it.. a word of caution though...wait to see what the climate is before promoting your business...I have heard members of my quild comment about members who seem to join just to get business. Maybe they have a place for your business card in the newsletter? Your work will be your best advertising
    Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

The first meeting I went to there were at least 20 women with show and tell items it amazed me! Tomorrow I'm taking my first show and tell in. I'm really excited! I love seeing everyone's ideas and color choices.
    Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM

I belong to 3 groups and Show and Tell is the best part! We love to see quilts from members of ALL skill levels!

Sometimes we get impromptu Show and Tell at the shop where I work, when customers bring in their projects. Gotta love this job!
    Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM

I would take them. I don't believe their is a time limit on when you can show your quilts. By all means take them. Usually they have a sign up sheet for the Show & Tell. Just call someone and ask. Good Luck.
    Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Of course show them off. It will help business and people get ideas from them. Go for it.
    Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
    Power Poster

Yes take your quilts and everyone likes to see what people are making. Whenever I bring a quilt I always say who it is quilted by because I only do small quilts which is just basic SID or going around applique.
    Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM

I say it is OK to take other's quilts to show and tell ... if possible ask the piecer if they would mind ... but I think as long as you give credit where credit is due it is OK ... FYI don't go in to great detail about the quilting ... ok to say I quilted this and it is a panto, custom or whatever but not OK to tell how many thread changes or things that promote your business ... show and tell is for everyone to get kudo's for a job well done.
    Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't want my quilt shown off before I saw it finished- and as the professional long-arm person you are, I think it would be fine if the owner of the quilt gave permission first, that is for either putting it on line, your website, or showing it off in person. and Dunster is right on with her thinking if I was in the guild, I might not want to take my unfinished tops to you because maybe I didn't want them shown off where ever, when ever- and as the owner I am paying you to quilt them only.
    Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

I too feel you do not have the right to show off quilts that you have been hired to quilt if the owner has not given you permission.