Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt guild fundraisers >
  • Quilt guild fundraisers

• Quilt guild fundraisers

Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Quilt guild fundraisers

I am interested in hearing how some of your quilt guilds raise funds for speakers, etc. Currently our guild has a small quilt auction in the spring. Some members are tired of this because the members supply the items for the auction and then, turn around and bid on them and ultimately purchase them. They feel like they are getting hit with a double whammy. So, I am just looking for some new fundraiser ideas. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 PM

My old guild does a group quilt and auction it -- they do this every other year. They also have a "garage" sale at one of their meetings and charge $5-$10 for a table. They also do a quilt show every other year collecting admission, etc. Of course, dues help and so does a $15 fee per person per class.
    Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 PM

Everybody from my guild donates Minies to the quilt show that is every other year. At the last day of the show all Minies are auctioned and the procidings go to the guild, the treasurer says this is where the big money comes in to inite teachers. Also there is a quiltique were people donate anything they want. All procidings again go to the guilds.
    Clases given by invited teachers cost $45. If the teacher is a guild member, the fee is $15.
    Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
    Power Poster

My small guild has a quilt show every other year. We charge a small admission, sell donated small quilts, and raffle or auction donations that we get from quilting-related businesses. We also have sales of donated fabrics about once a year, selling it for $1/yard. We use most of the money for batting for charity quilts. We also charge $25/year dues.

The larger guilds that I attend usually have a raffle quilt, as well as quilt shows, silent auctions for members, and dues.
    Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Our guild has a member auction of fabric, patterns, books, and other supplies once every 2 years. It is a lot of fun and a win/win/win situation -- the guild gets the money, the donor clears stuff out of their sewing room, and the buyer gets a bargain (usually). Last year there was so much stuff to auction that the officers decided to do smaller silent auctions scattered throughout the "off year". One month it was only magazines, then books, then fabric, etc. That has worked out great too.
    Old 09-08-2012, 02:24 AM

When I belonged to a guild we had a quilt raffle every year to raise funds. We also had dues. There are rules about raffles and other fundraising so be sure to check on that.

mltquilt
    Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 AM

My Quilting group has a "Quilters garage sale" on a saturday in the spring. We charge $ per table for outside people to get table. No admission charge to public. Great fun and great fabric values!
    Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 AM

I was talking to a couple friends who have been quilting with a group for quite a few years. Recently they realized that they make a lot more money raffling quilts as opposed to auctioning them off. At an auction they would be lucky to get $100.00 for a quilt, but when raffled (with other items, but the quilt the main prize), they made $500.00 plus.

Raffle tickets can be sold to people outside the guild, where as an auction is only available to those who are there at the time.