Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Guild ideas? >
  • Quilt Guild ideas?

• Quilt Guild ideas?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    I'm on the program committee for our local Quilt Guild for this fall. We are looking for suggestions. We plan on having a LQS owner come and visit; some one from the local Binkie Patrol; we do a BOM for a charity quilt; we hope to have another quilter from just outside our area share with us her quilts/projects. Any other ideas?
    what ever you do avoid doing trunk shows at every meeting...that is all my local guild does..after 12 years of this, now that is ALL the old cronies want..food and a show...they do NOTHING to share/teach quilting, they do NOTHING to give back to the community(even though they are a 501 3c charity), it is the most boring, uneventful, uneducational guild on the planet!
    Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 AM

what ever you do avoid doing trunk shows at every meeting...that is all my local guild does..after 12 years of this, now that is ALL the old cronies want..food and a show...they do NOTHING to share/teach quilting, they do NOTHING to give back to the community(even though they are a 501 3c charity), it is the most boring, uneventful, uneducational guild on the planet![/quote]

How about becoming the head of their philanthropy? I did that in my guild and they have totally stepped up to making lots of charity quilts. I am very proud of them and they they just needed some inspiration--a role model--and some help with easy patterns.
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 AM
    Power Poster

I have only been a member for a couple of years, but I sense that our group is a hands on group and just need some someone to get the ball rolling. Last year members could bring a completed 12 inch block in a specific color way. We are going to put these blocks in a charity quilt. The different blocks and cutting directions were assembled in our own BOM booklet. We had a sew in for Dresses for Haiti and another 4 hour workshop doing small landscapes. One night we had an "uglies" swap. We have received positive feedback from all of these activities.

We all enjoy our "show and tell" session. Trunk shows have their place, but can be too much of a good thing. Last year I presented a program on left overs sharing examples of what I make with the odds and ends of other projects. I like to share what I do, but don't want to dominate the guild. Others also have much to contribute.

I like the pass the stash idea, Carole. Thanks