Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Guild, Modern Quilt Guild >
  • Quilt Guild, Modern Quilt Guild

• Quilt Guild, Modern Quilt Guild

Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Default Quilt Guild, Modern Quilt Guild

I am new to quilt guilds, but would like to join one to meet quilting people.
    In the area I am going to move to, there are 2 quilt guilds.
    There is the Greater XXX City Quilt Guild and the XXX City Modern Quilt Guild.

I am wondering if there is any difference between the "traditional" and "modern" quilt guilds?

Thank you.
    Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM

The most obvious difference is that the modern quilt guilds attract quilters who are primarily interest in modern quilts. Other types of guilds attract everybody. Nothing stops you from being member of both. Go to a meeting in each and see where you fit in the best. Age can also be a factor, BUT if you are a new quilter you may really benefit from the one that has more seasoned quilters. The choice is yours. I am an equal opportunity quilter leaning more toward contemporary, but I belong to a traditional guild. Good luck!
    Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks. I went to their websites. At first glance, the biggest difference is the average age of the members. The quilts on display are also more modern in outlook, more casual in style.I guess I may probe around more, perhaps go for a first meeting before deciding.

Last edited by liont; 06-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Both have skills involved. think about your tastes. It is a good idea to go to a first meeting with both and see how you feel amongst the members.
    Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM

I moved and found a Quilt Guild and a Modern Quilt Guild in the new town. Went to a meeting at both. While I am a traditional quilter, the Quilt Guild was so large that they had to have two meetings a month to fit everyone in, and it was a large hall. I was overwhelmed. The Modern Quilt Guild was relatively new and had 10-15 members. Felt more at home. The quilts that they have shown are some modern and some traditional. So it is really a place to meet other quilters of varying tastes. Check them both out and see where you fell at home. Ann
    Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
    Power Poster

when you get there pay a visit to each of them- they generally enjoy visitors- prospective members- then you can see what programs each does- and how you *like* the members- then you can choose which guild fits you- or you may enjoy both. our guild has a membership drive/tea each September- but new people are always welcome to come to a meeting- then are given the opportunity to join...I've visited guilds before that I felt would not be a good fit for me- and not gone back- and then I have my 3 favorites I try to participate in even if I am not always able to make it to meetings- I keep up on line with friends, members and if an exchange, swap, new program, charity project is starting that I am interested in I can jump in & do my part. all 3 groups are very different from each other...much like quilt shops are very different from one another.