Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Guild Question #2 >
  • Quilt Guild Question #2

• Quilt Guild Question #2

Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
    So, my first questions generated lots of conversation - and many did not have great experiences.

My question #2 is this: If a quilt guild is not for you/me where do you meet quilting friends?

I want to find someone who is totally crazy about quilting and fabric like I am. I love the people on this board, but I want someone to talk to and shop with, etc.

I do not want something with cliques, that is political, etc. I guess I just want a quilting friend.
    Me too.....tried to find one. Want to put an ad in the paper for quilters just to come over and quilt and chat (stitch 'n bitch??)
    Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by twilight
    Where in Central Illinois do you live? I'm from Clinton, Illinois but move to Michigan 54 years ago. Sorry I'm not closer to you too.
    I am looking for a quilting friend in southwest Michigan...where are you????
    Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 PM

On this board!
    Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 AM

Deb, I was in the quilt shop one day and someone told me about a quilting group at a local church and they are a marvelous group of ladies. We meet every Monday night, no rules, sew if you want, crochet, knit, etc. Sometimes I just go to chat. I also happened to get in at the formation of a guild several years ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed them too. Dean
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 AM

I have gone to a couple of meetings for quilting guild and even though they were nice enough, I have this really bad habit of being "rogue" also. I work all day long with ladies at the bank, and really am not a joiner. I totally love this board, because I can be myself. I guess I am a bit of a hermit when It comes to my quilting. I quilt with a few ladies at our church on the months I can get there, but other than that, I am all by myself when I quilt.

I did meet a girl at the guild that cracked me up. We were working on something and I was almost done and she was taking a really long time. She laughed at me and said, "I am all about the journey and you are all about the results". I had to laugh because that is so true.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 AM

I am in a quilt guild that has no rules we pay 15 per year and everyone is most willing to help you if you have a problem and to share their expertise. There are no clicks and no one talks about other women when they leave the room. It is the best womans group I have ever been involved with.
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM

So, my first questions generated lots of conversation - and many did not have great experiences.

My question #2 is this: If a quilt guild is not for you/me where do you meet quilting friends?

I want to find someone who is totally crazy about quilting and fabric like I am. I love the people on this board, but I want someone to talk to and shop with, etc.

I do not want something with cliques, that is political, etc. I guess I just want a quilting friend.
    Let people at the LQS and local fabric stores know that you would like to start a mini-group ( Bee) in your home. Set a date and time for the first initial meeting, and hope that you will get a lot of inquiries. That is the way we did it here and now I belong to two groups with some of the members overlapping in both groups. We try to keep the groups to 6 to 8 members because we meet in each other's home and some homes are smaller that others.
    Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM

You could try posting here asking if anyone lives in your area. Try something like: "Question for all Central Illinois Quilters' Put it under chit chat?
    P.S. My local quilting guild is very nice people, but the idea of a quilting guild was not what I was seeking. I just wanted a quilting buddy too. I have found that here, and met some wonderful folks at the local gathering.
    Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Too bad you are not in Tomball, Texas because that is exactly what I have in mind...someone who enjoys quilting and shopping for fabric, etc.
    Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 PM

You could join a guild for one year. Within the guild you will find smaller quilting groups that meet on a regular basis. Any of those will willingly help with shopping etc. or just making friends within the guild without going on any committee.