Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt guild question. >
  • quilt guild question.

• quilt guild question.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:10 PM

When I called about joining my guild I was told that this was not a group for beginners! I went and kept my mouth shut for months to see what the group was like. I still belong but I am not close to anyone in it.
    Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Delta
    You can just show up sign in as a guest. usually they will let you come free a couple times then you can join if you like. after getting in the guild you can join a bee they meet different times of the month. there are 10 in my bee and sometimes we sew and sometimes we just chat.
    Best thing I ever did was join my guild......great people, great fellowship and have learned so much....Most of all they have accepted me with such warmth...
    I e-mailed first and went to the monthly meeting....
    Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 PM

At our guild you just turn up and can have two visits as a visitor before joining. A lot join up before then
    Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 AM

I just showed up at one guild that I belonged to, at first meeting felt welcome after that found out that most folks seems to stay in little clusters and found it hard to fit in, and heard lots of negative comments about the people that were demonstrating different quilting projects, so I just didn't go back, I hope the guild you are joining is better.. I do belong to a small LA Guild and everyone is very friendly.. I really enjoy it.
    Old 06-09-2012, 04:24 AM

Default Quilt Guild

Either just showing up, calling or emailing someone is acceptable. I found some of the nicest people at my quilt guild in Texas, and they've become life-long friends. What you can learn, glean from others and contribute to a guild is invaluable!
    Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 AM

I belong to the Pittsburg Ks., guild. We have people just come to the meeting and the door greeter gives them a name tag. Then the Membership Chairman introduces them to the members.
    They can come 2 times before deciding if they want to join. October is our Birthday Month, and the best month to join. We have members join anytime, tho.
    Hope this helps; nothing formal about it. We wear blue jeans, slacks, ect, just whatever we want to wear; definitely not dress-up.
    Mariah.
    Pittsburg, Ks.
    Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 AM

I would go (sometimes there is a guest fee if there is a speaker) and se if you like it, then talk with some of the members, different guilds have different focuses.
    Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Just show up, usually they have a sign up table and you can jot down that you are a 1st time visitor/guest.
    Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Both the guild I belong to currently and the one where I used to live, love to have new people drop in. My old guild is now charging $5 for guests, but they do provide refreshments at the meeting.

If you are uncomfortable just showing up, go to your LQS and ask them about the guild, usually someone who works there or someone in the store may be a member and can give you some insight. Also, see if the guild has a website that provides information about the guild.
    Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM

I just went to a meeting at the last place I lived. It was kind of a test. If I felt welcome (I did), then I would pay my dues for a year and see how it went. The people in that guild (in a rather exclusive area of NC) made me feel like any question I asked was important, even though I obviously didn't fit into their "social set". They could not have been nicer or more informative! I have not joined a new guild yet because it's so far away, and I have all of you!