Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe? >
  • Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

• Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 AM

I'm just finishing a table topper kit that I bought when I first started quilting projects in Jan. My intent was to learn skills taught by the construction of the project. Well, I did learn a lot, but learned more from mags , You Tube and here. When I get it done, I won't buy another, but use my own selection of fabric and pattern. At least it was a good place to start.
    Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 AM

I have friends who love kits but I don't. I love patterns however but prefer to deliberate over the fabric choices and like "gollytwo" wrote, I want to see my version of something. Put it down to experience which I was fortunate enough to learn through my friends. But you know this about yourself now so onwards.
    Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM

I'm new to the forum but had to reply. I've also ordered kits from Connecting Threads and like you, have never been disappointed. Nice fabric, plenty of fabric and good directions.
    Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Do you not like any of the fabrics? If you change out one or two of the fabrics, substituting something that you like and you think goes better with the other fabrics, maybe you would like the quilt from the kit better than witht the kit fabrics. I do kits in my shop and something I like and think goes well together may not for the customer.
    Maybe you could use the kit fabrics you didn't like along with something else and make another quilt or other project that is more to your liking.
    Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Maybe you could post a picture under the "FOR SALE" listings. Someone else might like it and buy it from you.
    Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Could you post a pic of the design and fabrics? It's possible that the pieces could be moved around, or even re-cut so you could add another fab or two and make a completely different pattern that you'd like better.

I've only bought a couple of kits from different shops, just to get the fabrics, because the prices were so good and the only BOM I've gotten from a LQS had very generous fabric cuts, which added to my scrap bins!

One nice thing about the Connecting Threads kits is that they give you a pick of each fabric, along with the yardage. I do like their very nice fabrics.
    Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 PM

I am so sad you have had a poor experience w/your kit. I've bought kits from Hancock's of Paducah, Keepsake, Connecting Threads, Denver Quilt Co, LQS's, and have loved everyone of them. The pattern was included with all but one kit and it had a magazine with the pattern in it. All kits have been generous w/fabric. I absolutely love kits. I have a stash that would rival some small shops, but when I see a pattern I love and it has all the fabrics needed to make it, I just can't resist. My opinion, don't judge all kits by this one. Perhaps you could take the kit back to your LQS and explain how disappointed you and your DD are with the fabrics and ask if they can give you at least a 50% discount on your next purchase. What's the worst thing that can happen ... they could say no OR they could appreciate your honestly and apply a goodwill discount to your next purchase.
    Old 06-22-2010, 02:52 PM

I have purchased from Connecting Threads and their kits are generous with fabric and if you buy on sale, a great price. It allows me to try patterns and fabric outside my comfort range; that means other than earthtones.
    Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM

I love kits. If it wasn't for kits I wouldn't have been able to quilt. I have trouble making fabric and patterns choices. A left over gift from have my last child. However, I usually will buy kits after I have seen a quilt sample in at a LQS.

Since you are on a budget I think you should go ahead and make it anyways. It might look good after you cut it into pieces and sewn it together. If afterwards you still don't like it you can donate it or give it away to someone you are not real close to.
    Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM

They are just too expensive for me. The cost includes the time for someone else to pick out the fabric, add the pattern, cut some of the fabric.....I can do all of that. For me, just too much money!