Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • the quilt label??? >
  • the quilt label???

• the quilt label???

Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 PM

I have put them in a corner (sometimes even making the label a triangle by folding a square in half and sewing it on with the machine when I sew the binding on and then I only have 1 side to hand sew), centered on the bottom, or pieced into the backing and quilted on. I love to use old lacy hankies that I embroider on my machine for my labels - do have to stabilize them. I'll use 1/4 or 1/2 of the hankie usually, sometimes I'll use the whole hankie, but only if it is quite small.
    Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 PM

This is one of the best labels I have ever seen, great job.
    I only have an ink jet printer, but would love to learn how to make printed labels, can anyone recommend a website for me to see, I am a visual person. thank you!! and what are some of the pitfalls.
    Old 10-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Does anyone have a resource for someone that makes the labels for you? My guild told us of website the other day that makes them and sells them by the rolls at very cheap, but I don't remember the name. :(
    Old 10-27-2010, 01:15 PM

I think there are vendors on Etsy.com that will make custom labels.

I usually use a pigma pen, but have done hand embroidery. On one of my first quilts, I used a sharpie, and it faded a lot. But before you use pigma pens, test them for washability. I have had no trouble with black, but I bought a pack of bright colors and pre-tested them on muslin. Some of them ran and transfered to other fabrics, so I haven't used them on my quilts.

Usually my label is in bottom right corner of the back, but I've put labels in other spots on the back - once to cover up a stain, once to cover up a slash I made when cutting the loose threads away. I've also put one in the bottom center of the back. I don't really think about it much.
    Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM

I have been finishing quilts that my aunt made, i have made teddybears from old baby quilts that my grandmother made. I also include the history

For example: Made by Me, g'daughter of..... from quilts made by g'ma(date of birth & death) for Uncle Tub, son of G'ma & G'pa - married date...

I put as much of the family history & dates as i can. My hope is that the teddy bear, quilt, whatever, will be passed down thru the generations and they will always know where it came from.

My next project after my current G'ma's Flower Garden that i'm finishing for my aunt will be putting together a quilt from diamond shapes that my Grandma cut out before she died in 1945. I am going to make Carpenter's Wheel because i think it will show off the diamond shapes better.

She started tumbling block pattern - I'll use it for the label when i finish it - That may even get put on the front.
    Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 PM

I just use Word to write the info for my label, sometimes insert clip art. But, I often put a fabric border on my label and sew it in the lower right corner.
    Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM

I actually buy my Pigma Pens at one of my favorite quilting shops. I buy them by the pack for variety of color.
    Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM

I've embroidered mine by hand, used computer printed labels, used pre-purchased labels, made my own..

I just put them somewhere on the back, sometimes the left hand side (usually there - I'm left handed) and other times on the right hand side. Depends on if the back is pieced or not, and where the label just seems to "flow"

I do use Pigma pens often, but I've also used Sharpie and they've been holding up fine.

I'll be piecing the back to my Row Robin quilt, and I'm having each member sign one of these labels below. Each label will be sewn into the back of the row the participant did.

The luggage labels for Row Robin
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]153265[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-153260.jpe  
    Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM

I think it is the preference of quilter. I always put this little quote on my labels:
    "When you sleep under this quilt, you are sleeping under a blanket of love."